Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best way to do Rabbet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • best way to do Rabbet

    What are your opinions on doing Rabbets in Veneered plywood?

    Dado or router?

    If router any tricks to keep chip out down two passes.

    Have not used a router to run one

    I think easier with Router?

    We use to do them at cabinet shop with dado but took two people most of time no feather boards or hold downs
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

  • #2
    Reef12,

    I'll assume (please correct me if I'm wrong), that by dado you mean using a dado blade on your table saw (rather than cutting a dado then ripping it to make the rabbet).

    On full-sized sheet goods, I will use my router and a rabbeting bit with a bearing. Easy to set-up, easy to use, safe and produces good results. The draw back is you are limited in the width of the rabbet. This is a common problem if you are joining plywood to plywood using a rabbet joint because the plywood is undersized. I have solved this in the past by over sizing the rabbet (so that the shoulder of the rabbet overhangs the joint slightly) then using a flush cutting bit to trim the shoulder after assembly.

    If I have multiple rabbets to make on boards or easy to handle sized plywood, I might set up the table saw with a dado blade and sacrificial fence. I'll typically do this if the clamps interfere with the path of the router.

    Either way, I rarely have significant tear-out.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by cjh20; 02-24-2006, 02:24 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cjh20
      Reef12,

      I'll assume (please correct me if I'm wrong), that by dado you mean using a dado blade on your table saw (rather than cutting a dado then ripping it to make the rabbet).

      On full-sized sheet goods, I will use my router and a rabbeting bit with a bearing. Easy to set-up, easy to use, safe and produces good results. The draw back is you are limited in the width of the rabbet. This is a common problem if you are joining plywood to plywood using a rabbet joint because the plywood is undersized. I have solved this in the past by over sizing the rabbet (so that the shoulder of the rabbet overhangs the joint slightly) then using a flush cutting bit to trim the shoulder after assembly.

      If I have multiple rabbets to make on boards or easy to handle sized plywood, I might set up the table saw with a dado blade and sacrificial fence. I'll typically do this if the clamps interfere with the path of the router.

      Either way, I rarely have significant tear-out.

      Hope this helps.

      Rabbet for 1/4 inch back plywood.

      We used to do them with dado setup in the pieces, as compared to router.

      Would take 4ever to do a 60 cabinet job with a router setup

      Thanks cjh20
      Not responsible for speeling mistakes
      Jeff

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a sacrificial fence and a dado blade which makes them easier for me than setting up the router table. If you have a router table, they are easy to do on them too, but seem to take me longer to get set up than the TS.

        Bob R

        Comment


        • #5
          Well Maybe one with router and one on Dado

          Originally posted by Bob R
          I have a sacrificial fence and a dado blade which makes them easier for me than setting up the router table. If you have a router table, they are easy to do on them too, but seem to take me longer to get set up than the TS.

          Bob R
          Okay but we are talking 6 or 7 foot long 12 inches wide 3/4 inch piece of red oak plywood.

          This might leave the router table out the picture.

          I did make quite a heavy one years ago but not that wide only 2 foot maybe. so not enough infeed or outfeed

          I think I will finish my aux.fence and run it thru the Dado blade or use some saw horses and run the router don't know which is better.


          Maybe try one of each way.

          Router would be a tad faster I think plus won't need no feather boards

          But as I said we always did them on table saw with dado.

          But then again those were Uni-saws and big in and outfeed tables.

          I will get them done.

          Thanks Bob
          Not responsible for speeling mistakes
          Jeff

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Reef12
            Okay but we are talking 6 or 7 foot long 12 inches wide 3/4 inch piece of red oak plywood.

            This might leave the router table out the picture.
            Bob, my table is 5' long and 30" wide with featherboards on the fence, so that wouldn't be a problem on mine.

            I'd go ahead and finish the aux fence for the TS. Once you finish it, I think you'll find setting up for rabbets will go faster on the TS.

            Bob R

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob R
              Bob, my table is 5' long and 30" wide with featherboards on the fence, so that wouldn't be a problem on mine.

              I'd go ahead and finish the aux fence for the TS. Once you finish it, I think you'll find setting up for rabbets will go faster on the TS.

              Bob R

              Good Golly Miss Molly 5' feet by 30 " gosh yes you could do it on their.

              So will get them off to you.

              Can I have them back in a week please

              Thanks Bob yes TS faster I think
              Not responsible for speeling mistakes
              Jeff

              Comment

              Working...
              X