X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreader Bar on TS3650

Is it eesential that the spreader bar be attached to the saw? Mine vibrates and makes a lot of noise from the vibration, even after adding shims to keep it tight. I took it off. Good idea/bad idea?

If your TS is vibrating that much you better back up and go over the whole setup, cause something is not right somewhere.

Is the vibration there after removing the spreader? I would think it will be but you don't hear it. For the spreader bar clamps or washers to be making noise something is not assembled correctly. I removed my spreader when I installed the router table, but for 6 months before that I never had any trouble with noise from the spreader or anywhere else on the saw.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wireland
      Is it eesential that the spreader bar be attached to the saw? Mine vibrates and makes a lot of noise from the vibration, even after adding shims to keep it tight. I took it off. Good idea/bad idea?
      You run the risk of bending the rails with out it. Also fence can slip when using it at the end of the rails. My spreader bar don't even move or rotate after I tighten the clips that hold it in place. Recheck how you are mounting it and find the cause of the vibration.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Mine vibrated also.... added 2 shims and re-installed. Pay close attention to how the clips go in.

How's that for a first post. Long time voyeur-first time poster

Comment

I agree with TOD. I would definately not remove it. It will help prevent the rails from getting tweaked and will also help prevent a bit of vibration. If not vibration sounds are there after removing it then add more shims to get it tighter.

If other things are vibrating then I would go back through the whole thing as Bob D. Suggested and make sure everything is properly tightend and assembled.

WWS

PS: Welcome to the forum JDawg. I have been a very long time lurker and looks like I just hit my 100th post now. (I'm gaining on you TOD!! )
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

They don't go to the trouble of including that steel rod just for looks. It's a critical piece to the assembly. If it's vibrating, something is definately wrong. Check the rails for parallel and straight. Make sure the rod pins/guides are installed into the rails correctly. Make sure you have it shimmed properly. If the rails are skewed, see if you can re-install them. If one is bent/warped, take the saw back and get a different one. Make sure there's no milling sprue on the iron table that's causing one rail to bend out or something.

Good luck!!!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I looked the saw over from top to bottom..all nuts and bolts securely tightened. After taking the spreader bar completely off, I'm still hearing vibration, humming and a rhythmic small vibration every 3-4 seconds...Sheesh!
              Could it be the tilt lock handle or the handwheels vibrating in place and if so, is that too much vibration?
              I have the motor mount pretty tightened down., i.e., the guide pins in the cradle assembly. There is free play in the motor support assembly, meaning it should slide forward and back as the blade is raised or lowered, right?
              The fence rides very smoothly from left to right..no binding or shimmy anywhere as it travels from right to left and vice versa. Locks down tightly, no shimmy front to back.
              I've aligned the blade, it cuts perfectly.
              Is it possible to have TOO MUCH tension on the pulley, thus causing vibration?

Comment

Originally posted by wireland
                Is it possible to have TOO MUCH tension on the pulley, thus causing vibration?
                Yes it is. With the balde all the way down push the motor in and pull it back till you get about 1/4" from the pin in the top slot and then tighten it down and try that.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

The motor pulley should rest on the belt, with the weight of the motor giving the proper tension. When I assembled mine, the slot was cut too deep and adjusting the motor per the directions resulted in the motor mount carriage bolts pressing against the mount assembly. Back down the slot until you can squeeze the belt in the middle between the two pulleys until it touches itself and the motor still pivots freely. You should then be able to move the blade from full up to full down without the slide bolt bottoming on either end of the slot, and the belt supporting the motor.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Target! I readjusted the motor mount so that it was tensioned by the weight of the motor only. It was tight up against the top of the mount with no play in it. I also replaced the factory supplied 40 tooth blade with a Freud 80 tooth tungsten-carbide blade. What a difference!
                    I think you gentlemen can expect something extra in your forum paychecks this week!

Comment

Working...
                    X