X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIGID EB4424 belt sander problem

I've had the RIGIS EB4424 edge belt/spindle sander for a couple years now, and have been generally pleased with it. Sometimes I have trouble getting the edge belt assembly off of the motor shaft. It seems like the shaft is slightly undersized so that the keyed, or flat area, on the motor shaft gets wedged into the edge belt assembly recepticle. It takes a little work to get it freed up. The latest problem is vibration. There was always a little vibration, but lately it has really been bad. When I use the edge belt assembly, there is so much vibration the whole platform moves. I didn't see anything in the owner's manual to address this. Any ideas?

I have owned and used my EB4424 for over 2 years and have not experienced any of those problems. Is there any chance the shaft is bent or not straight? That might cause the vibrations as well as causing it to be difficult to get the belt assembly on and off. Another thought on the shaft trouble might be to put a little lubricant on it? Dust build up problem?

I can tell you that my belt assembly goes on and off with no problems and smooth as silk. I do take the time to vacuum it out every so often to keep the dust build up down and recently have always been using it while hooked up to a shop vac which works great.

Any vibration as bad as what you explain would be a cause for conern for me and I would be tempted to take the unit in for warranty work. I currently am not able to think of another reason to cause such vibration. Does the unit vibrate when you are using the spindles or just the belt unit??

WWS
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Eb4424

I agree with WWS, I have had mine for only 3 months, and have had no problems at all. The vibration or any excessive noise you are experiencing is definitely not the norm for this machine. One thing I did do is bolt it to a solid stand. I had an extra stand from an older MS1259LZ, and this just made a smooth machine smoother.
      Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith
        I have owned and used my EB4424 for over 2 years and have not experienced any of those problems. Is there any chance the shaft is bent or not straight? That might cause the vibrations as well as causing it to be difficult to get the belt assembly on and off. Another thought on the shaft trouble might be to put a little lubricant on it? Dust build up problem?

I can tell you that my belt assembly goes on and off with no problems and smooth as silk. I do take the time to vacuum it out every so often to keep the dust build up down and recently have always been using it while hooked up to a shop vac which works great.

Any vibration as bad as what you explain would be a cause for conern for me and I would be tempted to take the unit in for warranty work. I currently am not able to think of another reason to cause such vibration. Does the unit vibrate when you are using the spindles or just the belt unit??

WWS
        The sander is bolted down to a solid table, hooked up to a dust collection system, and I religiously clean it after each use. I measured the play at the idler spool and it's 3/32". There is also enough play between the drive shaft and drum that the flat part of the drive shaft gets wedged against/into the flat portion of the drum. I have to rotate the drive shaft with pliers so that both flat surfaces are parllel before I can remove the belt assmbley. The spindles seem to work OK.
        Last edited by jrmegan@comcast.net; 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I would schedule to have some work done. I suspect your problem is with the drive shaft. I do not have any play in mine and never need to use tools to remove the belt assembly.

WWS
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Re: RIGID EB4424 belt sander problem

I too have the EB4424 belt sander and have a similar vibration issue. When I bought the sander it ran very smooth. After about 3-4 hours of operation (3 months later) I am getting a vibration through the spindle which ends up transmitting to the table. I have removed and spread the lubricant in the oscillator assembly (bolted to the bottom of the motor), and the vibration seems to abate a little, and then return.

This vibration is felt whether the belt attachment is present or not.

The oscillator assembly seems at fault, when I run without the oscillator cover (i.e. oscillator cam disengaged), no vibration is noticed. With the offset cam oscillator (or whatever it's called) I suspect a harmonic there.

I have cared well for my machine, shaft straight and machine kept clean. I would like to restore to a smooth machine again, the vibration is making high quality sanding just about impossible.

-Thanks

Comment

I've never had the vibration problem with mine. The problem I have had with it is getting the tension on the belt right. It seems to be extremely sensitive. It is extremely frustrating because the belt will almost immediately jump up or down as soon as I turn the machine on. I have burned off the little rubber piece on the tensioning lock because I can't tell you the number of times that the belt has shot up before I had a chance to adjust the tension. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have some techniques they have used in order to keep the tracking on line. I love having this machine. It has been indispensable on a couple of projects but it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

Comment

I've owned the EB4424 just over a year. I've been using quite a bit over the last two weeks and it also began to have a vibration. Not to the extent that zzzdad or jrmegan describe, but pronounced when using the belt sander. While looking for the cause, I noticed that the (large) drum attached to the drive assembly is open at the bottom and had considerable dust accumulated at several points. This is not easy to see, nor is it easy to clean. Once the sawdust was removed, the vibration stopped.

Attachment

This doesn't sound like the solution to the other's problems, but thought others might find this thread on a search.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X