3650 Pulley and Motor Adjustment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 Pulley and Motor Adjustment

Got my new 3650 yesterday and had it together in about 2hrs... I have been working on aligning everything today. I am 95% happy with this saw and the only thing missing is to do away with some hard starting and minor vibration. I am under the assumption that the occasional hard start I am experiencing is due to mis-aligned pulley and/or improper belt tension. These are also two points that the instructions were essentially worthless in addressing. About every 4 starts the saw starts smooth and without any vibrations. The other 3 are a pretty hard start on its way up to speed. Once it is up to speed it smoothes out nicely. I notice the same phenomena while turning the saw off...

Any ideas, hints, etc...?

Other than that it has been great, no issues. Have made quite a few practice cuts and with a Frued 80 tooth it cuts great...

I had the exact same experience when I put the saw together a couple of months ago. I tried loosening the motor mount bolts so I could move the motor position from side to side. I tried a couple different positions relative to the arbor and was able to find a spot which allowed for smoother startups. I no longer get the hard start. I had to basically fiddle with it to find the right spot. I wonder if there is a better method to aligning the motor to the arbor.

Comment

I had the exact same experience when I put the saw together a couple of months ago. I tried loosening the motor mount bolts so I could move the motor position from side to side. I tried a couple different positions relative to the arbor and was able to find a spot which allowed for smoother startups. I no longer get the hard start. I had to basically fiddle with it to find the right spot. I wonder if there is a better method to aligning the motor to the arbor.

Comment

" I wonder if there is a better method to aligning the motor to the arbor."

Doesn't the manual mention using a straight edge to help align the pulleys?
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaSAW
          Got my new 3650 yesterday and had it together in about 2hrs... I have been working on aligning everything today. I am 95% happy with this saw and the only thing missing is to do away with some hard starting and minor vibration. I am under the assumption that the occasional hard start I am experiencing is due to mis-aligned pulley and/or improper belt tension. These are also two points that the instructions were essentially worthless in addressing. About every 4 starts the saw starts smooth and without any vibrations. The other 3 are a pretty hard start on its way up to speed. Once it is up to speed it smoothes out nicely. I notice the same phenomena while turning the saw off...

Any ideas, hints, etc...?

Other than that it has been great, no issues. Have made quite a few practice cuts and with a Frued 80 tooth it cuts great...
          It sounds as if you have the belt to tight. I have found this way the best way to adjust it. With the blade all the way down push the motor all the way in. Then pull it back until the weight of the motor starts to put tension on the belt.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Reply to Needasaw

Make sure the bolts that secure the trunnions to the table are tight. I believe there are 6 of them. There have been reports of these bolts not being tight when shipped.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
              Make sure the bolts that secure the trunnions to the table are tight. I believe there are 6 of them. There have been reports of these bolts not being tight when shipped.

First thing I will check tonight

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
                It sounds as if you have the belt to tight. I have found this way the best way to adjust it. With the blade all the way down push the motor all the way in. Then pull it back until the weight of the motor starts to put tension on the belt.
                That is essentially how I adjusted it... Basically I had it tight enough to allow the motors weight to push on the belt even at the lowest point of belt tension (which is not at the lowest blade setting as the manual says, it is just above that point). This way the motor is never resting on the stop, but always on the belt. I did go on to try progressivly tighter belt tensions with no luck and reverted to the original tension I had set.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                  " I wonder if there is a better method to aligning the motor to the arbor."

Doesn't the manual mention using a straight edge to help align the pulleys?
                  My manual said to eyeball it... I am going to borrow a magnetic level from one of our welders and stick it to the outside of the saw and the measure distance from a straigt edge placed against both pulleys...(if someone has better idea on how to do this let me know) I don't think this will have any effect as I did randomly try different pulley locations at small intervals from its starting point. No difference.

Comment

Unless ya got a laser...

Like this. Remove belt, check, rotate each pulley 90, recheck. String or straightedge must touch pulley at all 4 points

Lorax
                    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Lorax
                      Like this. Remove belt, check, rotate each pulley 90, recheck. String or straightedge must touch pulley at all 4 points

I will try that tonight...they should include that image in the instructions...

Comment

Working...
                      X