Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forrest WWII blade, is it really worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest WWII blade, is it really worth it?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new Forrest WWII TK Blade. I've read all the reviews and so far most everyone swears by this blade. The only thing of course is the cost. I could probably pick up 2 or 3 freud blades for the price. Is the blade really worth it? I'm a weekend woodworker and definitely don't make my living from my projects. Come to think of it my project as of late has been buying tools instead of making stuff out of wood. Anyhow I'd appreciate some feedback from those of who have tried Forrest blades as well as those who have not. Thanks.

Depends

Amazon sells them for $81 but they are temporarily out of stock.

How's that compare to the prices you've seen?
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

That's where I saw them. I'm debating if I should pick up a couple of the Freud TK406 blades which are on sale for about $25.00 instead. Have you used either of these blades?

Comment

Never used a Forrest

I prefer a full kerf. This is the one I use. It really does make mirror smooth cuts.

Lorax

Comment

Well it looks like the Freud blades are back to their normal price. I had a couple in my amazon cart and they all went back up in price. I guess I should seriously consider the Forrest Blade instead now.

Comment

I have two WWII blades and can't say enough good things about them. If you can snatch them up for $80+, do it.

Michael

Comment

I'm with Ryan

Being new to this and all, i have the same questions as Ryan.
              Is the carbide THAT much better than other quality blades? What is it that justifies that cost? Will i purchase/have sharpened far fewer times with the WWII than other blades?
              Longevity is the only attribute that i can see that would make me want to give up that much money.
              Please someone educate me on this.
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Longevity is only part of it. There are different cutter angles (rake) for different applications (table saw, miter saw, radial arm saw, etc.) and different blades with different number of teeth for different cuts (crosscut, rips, plywood, laminate, etc.) For starters, a good quality carbide tipped combination blade will do a lot. Here is a start on our education.

http://www.taunton.com/FWN/ToolGuide...t.aspx?id=3015

http://www.taunton.com/FWN/ToolGuide...dir=Saw+Blades

A little more googling will probably find a lot more info.

Gary
                Last edited by Lorax; 03-14-2006, 12:46 PM.
                Lorax

Comment

Okay, but...

Thanks for the info L...

But, is the finish that the WWII creates twice and good as what your Freud?
                  And would i NEED the finish to be THAT good on my cuts?
                  Believe it or not, i'm not trying to be a smartalic about this (I know, but just this once)
                  I just don't understand the justification of that kind of cost.
                  When you have $100 in your hand to spend on anything woodworking... Why should i spend it on ONE 10" saw blade?

Come on - bring me the knowledge!
                  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

As I can tell (WARNING: NEWBIE OPINION), the quality of the saw blade and the smoothness of the cut determines how much finish time you'll need. In other words, if you're cutting say a face frame for a cabinet, you'll want a nice smooth surface. Of course, you can use a jointer or a planer to achieve a very smooth surface on the cut, but that's an extra step. If the initial cut is really smooth and free of cut marks, you might be able to skip the planing step, or at least not have to plane so much off the board.

I may not have captured all of the reasons, but to me, that's the most important.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I was really fortunate to receive a Forrest WWII 40T TK as a gift a couple of years back. At the time I had a very good Freud LU84 50T combo blade. The Forrest simply cut cleaner on every type of cut and material, plus the it allowed a faster feedrate, and stayed sharp a long time. Had I not received it as a gift, I would have balked at spending that much money, but after using it I wouldn't hesitate to replace if needed. The blade is an absolute pleasure to use, and being that it's a hobby, it's nice to enjoy using something so much.

If you decide against the Forrest, I'd suggest getting something from Freud's "L" series as they're a step above the "TK/Avanti" and "Diablo" series. The LU86R010 40T is a good general purpose blade, and the LU88R010 is a 60T blade that should give some advantages over the TK406...it's only about $6 more, and the LU86 might be cheaper.

Comment

Wakarimashita!

Thanks for the "Warning" Sandy
                        And thanks hewood. That puts it in the light i was looking for.
                        There HAS to be more than JUST finish quality to justify over twice the cost.
                        Higher finish, longer life and faster cutting rates than the blades that are half the cost can justify the greater expense. At least as long as we are talking about a large enough increase in the above parameters... Boy, that sounded geeky
                        Anyway, thanks guys (yeah, even you Lorax ) for the input.
                        hewood you put a pretty convincing sell on the WWII. I MAY even consider giving up my "Precious" (spoken in the voice of Gollum) woodworking cash for one.... "MUST... FIGHT... URGE... TO... BUY... 10... $10... BLADES!...
                        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Well I took the plunge. Ordered the WWII TK from amazon along with a new impact kit. Thanks for the comments guys. I definitely helped with the decision making process. It looks like the blade is on back order. I will be sure to post my personal opinions about the cut quality after using it. Not sure how valuable that will be since I've used nothing but he OEM on the 3650 and cheaper blades on my other craftsman TS. Thanks.

Comment

I have the WWII (full kerf) and the Freud LU84R010 and the Forest definitely produces a superior cut but not even close to twice as good, although that’s a rather difficult parameter to define. The one place that I have noticed that the WWII excels appreciably is the edge left on veneered plywood, absolutely no tear-out.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by ryan.s
                              Well I took the plunge. Ordered the WWII TK from amazon along with a new impact kit. Thanks for the comments guys. I definitely helped with the decision making process. It looks like the blade is on back order. I will be sure to post my personal opinions about the cut quality after using it. Not sure how valuable that will be since I've used nothing but he OEM on the 3650 and cheaper blades on my other craftsman TS. Thanks.
                              Hopefully you'll be as happy as most of us are. If not, I've read that Forrest will buy it back from you...not positive, and am not sure how it works. You'll find it money well spent if you're as pleased as I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X