Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gots me a jointer fellers!!!

Hey i picked up my new JP06101 this weekend and man is my back sore
    No, but seriously... I am excited (who wouldn't be with a new toy!) My son and i put it together Sunday and all i have done so far is fire it up to make sure it at least spun... it did

Any of you 6101 veterans have any advice for the N E W B I E?
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Originally posted by nobunaga-sama
    Just the most obvious: USE PUSHBLOCKS! Congratulations on the new jointer.

Woodslayer

Comment

Hey i picked up my new JP06101 this weekend and man is my back sore
      No, but seriously... I am excited (who wouldn't be with a new toy!) My son and i put it together Sunday and all i have done so far is fire it up to make sure it at least spun... it did

Good jointer their Sama.

Will cut some wood pretty good.

So did you check all the blade heights?

I did
      Not responsible for speeling mistakes
      Jeff

Comment

Practice, Practice, Practice

I have a Grizzly jointer, but my advice is the same. Read the manual, practice, read some more, practice, practice, practice.
        I can't think of any power tool that is affected more by user technique than a jointer, so practice.
        And for God's sake, BE CAREFUL!!
        Did I mention you should try to get a little practice?
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Congrats nobunaga-sama. I have had mine for about 4 weeks now and haven't even had a chance to power it on after assembly! Guess you will beat me to the punch on actually getting some use out of a new jointer!

Good luck and like everyone else said read the instructions and practice!

WWS
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I've had mine for almost a year and love it. For a 6" jointer, it's great. Do as the others have already said. Make sure you take the time to make sure it's set up properly. Make sure the knives are set right; make sure the fence is dead-on square, and you'll be very happy with it.

Comment

Read...the...manual? Huh?

I'm thinking i should probably practice on it.

I've read through the maual once and am planing on re-reading it at lunch today. I admit i hadn't thought about checking the blade height. Thanks for that one.

My next move was to go through and do the checks on the stops to make sure everything was square.

This machine does intimidate me a bit. I've never once used one so i'm not sure what to expect. So practice i will.

Thanks guys!
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

shucks i wish i had a jointer .................sniff sniff wimper ....................lol
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

so sad...

Gee wizz Chevy, i guess i can share mine with you...
                  But you have to play nice!!!
                  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Yay!

Congrats, Nobunaga-Sama! I love my jointer. I find myself using it (practicing) quite often. I bought several cheap 2x4's, and use them for various projects here and there. I find having a jointer surely eases many tasks. I'll joint one face, then plane the other. I'll joint a couple pieces and glue them together (using the biscuit joiner), and find the line between them to be so small as to be almost not noticeable!! It's just a great tool. Plus it makes that ever-so-cool bwwwwwwwwwwah noise. You just can't beat that!!!

Now, in a few months, we'll both have to figure out how to A) get replacement blades and B) install them!!! Can't wait for that!!
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Jointer

Great tool, have fun and be careful. I worked in a furniture factory in my past life and watched a guy trim his fingers about 1/16 of an inch. Not messy but I am sure very painful. Good luck

Comment

You can do mine...

Sandy you've taken the whole "PONKA" sound effect idea to new heights with the jointer. Lorax will be so proud!
                        You know, you talking about how you have used yours kinda gave me an idea...
                        Since i've never used a jointer before i basically see it as a way to prep boards to make table tops and such. Make a board square.
                        What are some interesting ways that everyone has used their planer/jointers over the years to produce different items? Hearing these things helps to spark ideas for boneheads like me.

Sandy, when mine gets dull, i'll ship it to you to change so i don't have to figure it out. Not that i'm lazy or anything...

You do have to feel for oldslowchevy, he will never know the joys of "bwwwwwwwwwwah"

Ouch threefinger, ouch!
                        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! !!!!!!!! i want a new toy too!!!!that ok though ......... i have a deck of cards and my bicycle spokes .....SO NAH!!!
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Not Fair!

How come Chevy get's a bicycle and I don't!!??!!
                            waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
                            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I've had mine for a couple years now and I think it's the best you can buy for the money, Leave the blades alone until you make a test cut........mine cut a glass smooth surface out of the box. The pulley set screws on mine were loose and the motor pulley almost came off.......sometimes they can feel tight but metal shavings and paint keep them from contacting the shaft. The bolt in the safety guard can come loose and the guard wont return over the cutting head. Well done...........you made a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X