Dust collector thought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collector thought

A friend has one of the BIG Jet collectors with the great filter set up and clear plastic bag collection. A super tool and pretty quiet too.
    Well I went to Woodcraft this weekend and asked if my small Jet could be adapted to the clear bags. The answer: Yes but the dust blow out in the upper bag will not make it practical. The filter to replace the top bag was more than I paid for the collector, so I am thinking a box and pleated furnace filters. Has anyone done anything like this? Think it would work?

Haven't done it but I doubt if it would work very well. The very small particles of dust, which are the most harmfull to your lungs, would sail right through a normal furnace filter. You might want to consider upgradeing your upper bag to one that will filter particles as small as 3 microns or even 1 micron. Grizzly and Penn State are a couple of places you can buy replacement bags.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-22-2006, 10:11 AM.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

jeffbob

I just bought a Super Dust Gorilla from Onieda Air. They only make dust collectors. They sell filters and have been very helpful to me. My contact is Heather. The web site is oneida-air.com. I think she may be able to give you advice.

I have done a lot of research on dust related problems and 1 micron is what you are shooting for. The best suggestion, in the interim, is to get a NIOSH approved respirator mask. A good one runs about $60.00.

Hope this helps.

jeffbob

Comment

An Idea

I'll tell you what will work.... Just stack a few HEPA shop vac filters on top of one another ( you can the cleanstream washable ones at sears right now on clearance for about $5-7 each ) or there is a guy on ebay that sells Genie Lifetime Washable HEPA filters that fit Ridgid vacs, because I bought two of them from him and only paid $32 with shipping. So, you could easily stack a few of these together and it would be very similar to the Wynn's canister. You would just have to retro-fit your own base to the filters/housing and make an endcap for the last filter. So, MDF and a few of those filters would get you in under $50.
        There should be NO SUCH THING as "I can't do it." My philosophy on life is simple... "If you're trying, you're halfway there!"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and input

If it gets above freezing this weekend I'm going to drag out the collector and experiment.

Comment

I have the Grizzly 2 hp that came with 2 micron bags. Does not really matter to me because I have my DC outside where no dust gets into the shop.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
            X