X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching your router table

I've finally got my table and all the hardware together but I've never seen any mention of how you guys are attaching them to the rails. I have one suggestion of tennons and another of wide splines. Yours??
    Later,
    Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

There are a couple of good threads on this. Search for "Router table extension"
    I used aluminum angle.
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I think that I refined my search too much, Ken. I'll try that again. Sorry to be redundant.

Chiz
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

I used hex lag bolts
        Attached Files

Comment

VTDIVOT...Are you at all nervous about the rails supporting the full weight of the table frame, table top and router? What size stock did you use to fabricate the table frame? Could you post another picture of the second photo for a better look at the attachment method? I've been thinking about a similar table.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The frame is made of 3/4" x 2" oak.

I drilled the holes for the lags and left some slop to help level the table. I ran the lags through and slid them into the rail slots like you would the wings.

I then put the melamine on top and releveled by lifting or lowering the router table and tightening the nuts.

To fasten the lags, I needed to go nut-washer-nut (where the first nut basically serves as a large washer) I needed to do this since the lags weren't threaded all the way. As you can tell I basically made use of stuff I had lying around.

It isn't the best table out there, but it only cost me about 10 bucks total. I'm not worried about support, since all the other manufactured tables would prob need to be attached the same way. If you were really worried about it, I suppose you could put some legs on the table.

Comment

What is the thickness of your melamine VT? I'm using 3/4" part. bd. with a laminate on each side. With this much thickness I can't get a nut to clear. I've thought of cutting pockets for them but I believe that I'm going to return to the tenon idea. I'll have to deal with getting the table anchored, unless I remove enough of the table to allow me to install the rail stretcher. I really didn't want to do this so that I could have a larger work space. I'm planning on a diagonal support of alum. angle.
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

3/4" including the laminate. If you look at the photos, there isn't a lot of oak left once you drill the hole. It barely fits, I can't see why you're having issues though, we're only talking maybe an extra 1/8 of an inch

Comment

VTDIVOT.. Looks like a nice application. Do you have a photo or two of the finished product, with the router table top and router in place? Also, are you using the table saw fence as the router table fence with an attachment to address the router?

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998
                    VTDIVOT.. Looks like a nice application. Do you have a photo or two of the finished product, with the router table top and router in place? Also, are you using the table saw fence as the router table fence with an attachment to address the router?
                    Sorry, been away (and doing a few projects). My set-up although hardly professional suits me just fine and seems to be fairly precise. Everything was done with the I'll try it this way for now and learn from experience mentality. Here's a few pics that might help.

The plate I picked up at sears for about $25 double sticked my router base to it and then the base as a guide to drill for the fit. The clear inserts were more of a challenge since the plate didn't come with them. I ended up using some lexan I picked up at HD and got lucky with the thickness as they fit perfectly (1/8 inch I think??) I guessed at the circumference and made several cardboard templates before I got one that I liked. I traced it onto the lexan and then cut it at the drill press with a circle cutter, then sanded to fit.

Fence is a basic plywood box that I clamp to the TS fence. I didn't bother covering it yet as it seems pretty square. The vac hose sits in the chamber and does a great job with the dust.

It isn't the prettiest, but serves me well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did you leave the existing extension tables on the saw and just add the router table or did you replace one of the extensions with the router table. If you left the extensions on and just added the router table, did you support the table in any was other than just the rails? Again, nice job.

Comment

I left the extension in and I did not support the table. I'm not so sure I've seen many with it supported

Comment

I'll have to get some pics up but I did finally get this mounted although not completed with fence and raiser. I cut the melamine to full width and did not use a wooden frame. Instead, I ran a piece of aluminum angle along each end (front and back of the table) and stiffened the edge which mates with the cast iron with a piece of 3/4" x 1.5". I found my rails to be about 1/16" different in height so I had to recess the aluminum into a rabbet of corresponding depth. Oddly, along the above-mentioned edge with the stiffener the melamine is slightly higher than the cast iron. Not sure how that happened but I'm engineering a clete to span the two and pull the melamine down the 1/64" or so. I just used hex head bolts riding in the rail slots to hold it up just like the extension tables are mounted. I find that I am too quick in asking advice and I think I need to exercise my brain a bit more. I get lazy in my use of forums so, apologies if you've noticed the same from me.
                          Thanks to all - oh yea, I didn't mean to imply that I won't be asking Q's anymore. I just promise to do a bit more thinking on my own beforehand.
                          Later,
                          Chiz
                          Last edited by ironhat; 05-27-2006, 11:39 PM.
                          Later,
                          Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by VTDivot
                            I left the extension in and I did not support the table. I'm not so sure I've seen many with it supported
                            I don't know that it needs to be supported, that saw is *HEAVY*, certainly many, many times heavier than any router you're going to hang on the table. At the most, I might put a swing-down leg to support it when you're routing something heavy, but otherwise I don't think it's really necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus
                              I don't know that it needs to be supported, that saw is *HEAVY*, certainly many, many times heavier than any router you're going to hang on the table. At the most, I might put a swing-down leg to support it when you're routing something heavy, but otherwise I don't think it's really necessary.
                              Not sure if I understood this correctly or not, but if you are saying the saw is HEAVY and therefore no issue with it tipping I am sure that is true. But I might lean towards supports just due to the fact that the rails are not all that strong and having the weight of the router and table supported by them might cause the rails to tweak some.

Just my $.02 worth.....
                              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
                              X