X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TP1300 question

I've had my Ridgid planer for a while now, and I have a question that I have not been able to figure out on my own (or found in the owners manual either). I frequently find that I am planing several boards (after jointing a face first) that are not quite the same thickness and I just want to get them all to the same thickness while preserving the maximum thickness possible. To accomplish this, I lower the cutter head very slightly on each pass of a set of boards, repeating until they are all planed completely smooth.

I have always shut the planer down after each pass and then unlock the cutter head, lower slightly, then re-lock the cutter head, re-start the planer and run the boards through. This can sometimes be very tedious, and I have been tempted to unlock the cutter head and lower it while the planer is still running, but I have not been brave enough to try it. Can this be done? Or do I have to turn the planer off each time before unlocking and lowering the cutter head? It would save so much time to be able to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Aint the way I do it

I have honestly never even considered turning my planer off between passes. It must take you forever to plane a pile of boards. Not to mention the wear and tear on your switch and motor. Unless someone can come up with a good reason for doing it your way, and I bet they don't, I say GO FOR IT!
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I never turn off my delta. I don't see any safety issues with leaving it running and all the lunchbox planers are basically the same design when it comes to the cutter head and height adjustment.

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks Lorax and Wayne. I figured it was a stupid question, I just wasn't sure if the answer would be "Of course you don't have to turn it off" or "What are you trying to do?? Ruin your new planer?!?!"

Comment

Thanks, Doug!! That answers questions I've had too!!!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Never?

Originally posted by wbrooks
            I never turn off my delta.
            Doesn't it make it hard to sleep with it running all night, or is your shop far enough away from the house that it doesn't bother you?
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Honestly speaking, I don't turn mine off and I don't bother with locking the head until the final pass
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Any of these Ridgid Planers?

OK, I know Wayne is doing this with his Delta and he believes all other planers are the same...I just want to make sure...are any of you others doing this specifically with the Ridgid TP1300?

Comment

You don't lock the cutter head each time???

Originally posted by papadan
                  Honestly speaking, I don't turn mine off and I don't bother with locking the head until the final pass
                  Papadan, you don't lock in the cutter head until the last pass? That goes against everything I have ever heard about using the locking mechanism, and I know that I have experienced some snipe (operator error in my case) that required more than 1 more pass to get rid of. That just killed me to have to reduce the final thickness just because I was not careful when feeding the board into the planer just because I was a little impatient. I have had just enough problems with snipe to make me be sure to flip the locking lever every single time.

Comment

Doug

I’ve had the DP1300 for several years, and I never turn it off prior to lowering the cutter head for the next pass but I do reengage the lock after each adjustment.

Woodslayer

Comment

Doug, mine is the TP1300 and have had it for several years. Snipe is a result of not having the board enter or exit at a proper level height with the platten. Adjustment of the infeed and or outfeed tables along with any external supports you may use for longer material will cure the snipe. In all my usage I have never experience any movement of the cutter head during operation with the adjuster being unlocked. I just got into the habit of locking it for the final pass on each side just in case. LOL
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I know what you mean...

I know what you mean Papadan. I use the "dime" method of setting the planer table, but I still get snipe once in a while. Most of the time it comes out pretty good, but I still lock the cutter head each time just because it seems like a small thing to have to do to avoid a problem.

Thanks for the response.

Doug

Comment

Thanks Woodslayer...that's the kind of input I was looking for...I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Working...
                          X