No announcement yet.

Looming saw purchase- TS3650 vs. TS2400

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy in America and you buy inches. I assumed most people in this forum can do conversions, did you assume that I couldn't :?)
    Welding is not an option because the box will require service over it's lifetime. Why do I need a dremel (yet another tool) if a table saw can cut the channel more cleanly in two passes (one pass if I use a dado blade)?
    Everyone I've spoken to has told me that a jigsaw is not a panancea for cutting aluminum and its advantages over a good table saw/blade combo are redoubtable. Are they wrong?

Roughing a box may make sense with wood but aluminum does not compress and forgive errors. The strength of this box increases geometrically as the cuts get straighter and the tolerance of its seated panels gets tighter. For example, going from 0.008" to 0.004" tolerance on its mating edges will increase its resistance to deflection approximately 300% so straight and smooth are not just a cosmetic issue in this application. Also remember that budget is first priority, so suggesting additional tools will probably not help.

yldouright, Your last statement about budget is what I was trying to help with. The methods and tools I described would work perfectly for your application, but you will not accept the simplicity of the task for only 2 small boxes. Please feel free to go out and buy a Performax or another brand of top of the line table saw just to make 2 boxes. It's America, do what you want. I just don't care for the waste of mine or everyone elses time trying to help someone that does not want our help. As for the size, you said 6"x11" then used all metric figures for cutting sizes. Any good machine shop would build these boxes for you for about $100 each. Have fun with your project, i'm done.
      info for all: --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

If you had read my post more carefully, you would have noted that the inch measurements I used were approximated. A dremel didn't seem like a complete solution for this project to me but you seem to insist that it is. Even if we accept that you can make a cut sufficiently accurate without scarring on an 8mm aluminum base, I don't know how you can use that tool as effectively as a table saw on the half cuts for the channels previously described so it seemed to me like the dremel would be an additional tool. The dremel also requires a good deal more time and finesse than a table saw as I understand it. If my lack of confidence in the dremel as a solution for this project is unwarranted and that opinion is shared by the majority of the posters on this forum, I will publicly apologize to you and happily go save some money, take that part of your advice and stop posting but I suspect that the cost of a quality dremel, blade, square file and guide set will cost very nearly what I will have to pay for a table saw and will probably not be as accurate. Why do you infer that I don't need this forums help when it is only your advice that seems to be lacking. If you are unable to help then politely abstain from posting and allow the more attentive to step forward.
        Last edited by yldouright; 04-03-2006, 01:17 PM.

Why do you infer that I don't need this forums help when it is only your advice that seems to be lacking. If you are unable to help then politely abstain from posting and allow the more knowledgable [sic]to step forward.
          Yldouright, 7:49AM 4/2/06. Emphasis added.

Dan, please do not abstain from posting. (except for this thread)

Yldouright, there are few on this forum who give better advise and would have continued trying to help you answer your questions for so long than papadan.

I have no help to offer you other than saying I give Dan's advise serious consideration and weight.

So just what in the hell are you building? Something for NASA? Why would you consider buying a $500.00 table saw for such a small project?
            Last edited by TOD; 04-03-2006, 06:24 AM.
            SSG, U.S. Army
            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

This has gone down a bad path...

I've been reading this thread pretty much each day. It's been interesting and a bit strange at times but hey, spice of life...
              It seems to have just gotten argumentive at this point. Everyone one has their point and i can see all of them.
              yldouright, it looks like your heart is set on using a table saw to do this work. It's your money. If you like the idea of using a TS then by gum do it. Some times you just have to trust your own instincts. Don't mean it's the best choice for me, or papadan, or tod... but maybe it kicks a$$ for you.
              I would go with the 2400 myself, after reading all this. The project is 6 x 11, so it's table size shouldn't be such a problem for you. It's portable which sounds like more what you need. It's still a great, acurate saw and it's $200 less than the 3650. Check with Ridgid on the warranty if it concerns you.

You've read what everyone has offered. Time to make your decision.
              Please let us know what you decided and how it has worked out for you.
              Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

cjh20, Thanks for your concern, but I am only done with this particular project. You know I aint gonna shut up.LOL TOD, be nice. LMAO
                info for all: --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

mpioto, did you ever make a decision on what saw to buy? (Thread starter)

I appreciate the mediation but I wasn't the one who started the antagonism. I have noted and appreciate the support papadan has received. More than likely he has earned it with many good advices but for whatever reason, I have not been as lucky so it seems that I still don't yet have sufficient information to confidently make my purchase decision. Am I wrong when I assume that a quality dremel and guide setup will not cut as accurately as a table saw for this application? I suggested that the costs of such a setup might approach that of a Ryobi BT3xxxx but noone here confirmed or denied this observation. As for just sending it out and getting it done, that would defeat several objectives not the least being the satisfaction of doing it myself. I will reiterate my desire to achieve a 0.004" tolerance on the cuts. If the TS2400 is capable of this kind of accuracy, my questions will be mostly answered but noone here has stated this with any confidence so I continue to ask for help. I certainly didn't expect to have the inference thrown at me that I was out just to waste peoples time.

I hesitate to weigh in on this topic..... but I will anyway.

The accuracy I have noted on my 3650 after getting it all setup properly is within .003". As this is within your stated tolerance objectives, the 3650 would satisfy your needs. Noteably, this is the full-size near-professional-grade, and more expensive model, and not the 2400. I do feel, however, that the 2400 will most likely meet that same tolerance level. As you have noted, the several other suggestions offered by the esteemed individuals that have replied to your request, mentioned the use of other dissimilar tools that would most likely result in the accuracy you require. These tools, however, require a careful setup and would require a higher degree of accuracy on your part in making the cuts.

I feel that it is up to you at this point to make your decision. The TS2400 is a decent tool, and would be capable of doing what you require; at least in my humble opinion. As with any tool, the accuracy is dependant not just upon the tool, but upon the user's ability to setup and properly adjust the tool to meet their needs. If you feel you are capable of that degree of accuracy in setting up to make the cuts, then the 2400 would most likely meet your needs. I know for certain the TS3650 would. I also know, as papadan has suggested, there are other tools that could meet this requirement as long as everything was setup properly before attempting the cut.

I would suggest, even if you do decide on the 2400, that a good amount of practice with the tool would be in order before attempting the actual cuts. No matter how carefully you are when building the tool, there are always a few adjustments required before you can start doing production-level work.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, and find a way to produce the desired results on your project.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Well put Sandy. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wish you luck with your decision yldouright. I am thinking that if you are capable of putting so much thought into this decision to get your desired results that you are probably patient enough to tune in a TS to obtain the accuracy you are looking for. I unfortunately am not so patient!

Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

We're just getting to good part and you guys want to rush this thread :?)

Having an idea of the accuracy measured by forum members is one of the things I had hoped to rely upon when choosing a table saw but is your measurement based on a variety of cuts at different heights or just on a straight cut? As wwsmith so honestly pointed out, most of the members here are not that concerned with minute errors partly because they can't be bothered and partly because the effort is not worth it for woodcutting. I've been reading about calibrating a table saw and from what I understand not all saws have the identical adjustments and the adjustments on some saws are not particularly convenient or stable. Since the TS2400 and the TS3650 have different motors, do they also have different carriages and locks to fix positions on the saw? How much accuracy am I likely to lose due to the differences in the fences between these two models? Earlier in this thread hewood highlighted the documented ability of a belt driven saw to cut more smoothly than a direct drive saw. Presumably, this is due to the lack of stretch in the direct drive which makes it more susceptable to vibration and other harmonics. Do you think the graphite board on the TS2400 was a design decision to dampen the effect of these vibrations and if so , how effective is it likely to be? Does anyone have the runout specs on each model (ie: total runout less blade runout)?

That Does It!!

That's All I Can Stand Cuz I Can't Stands No More!

This Has Got To Be A Joke, Right?

April Fools Day Is Over!!
                            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

.003" total deviation of fence from mitre slot as measured with a dial caliper. Deviation noticed in central part of fence. Kind of a "belly" that is sucked in.
                              Blade itself deviates far less than that (as measured from the mitre slot). Stock blade. Haven't done a caliper measurement with the other blades yet.

Get a dial caliper on a magnetic base and go to HD where they have the saw setup. Measure for yourself. Don't know what to say other than every possible answer has been provided to the best of our abilities.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Side note for VA Sandys reference. Magnetic base does not work for checking TS2400. LOL