Looming saw purchase- TS3650 vs. TS2400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looming saw purchase- TS3650 vs. TS2400

I am mainly doing home renovation, but also have been building some custom home audio speaker enclosures, basically furniture grade stuff. Also strongly considering making my own kitchen cabinets as I get better at this hobby(can't be that much harder than home audio, right?- lol) So this leads me to definitely choose the TS3650... but here's the problem, saw gets stored in a small 10x10 shed, basically has to be rolled across the lawn 60 feet to the patio to be used.

Here's my question: I know the TS3650 is nearly 300 pounds, but I am a pretty big guy (and hard-headed to boot)- can I somehow move this thing across the lawn? Anyone ever make an "all terrain" Herculift or something similar? Will I have to be the first to figure it out?

All indications are I need a lightweight collapsing stand portable, but I need the quality of cuts and features that only a full-on contractor saw will allow.
    Also, if everyone says I have no choice but to go full portable, than I am maybe leaning towards Bosch 4000 over TS2400. Any additional input would be appreciated.

Unless you have a smooth hard back yard, I don't think you will be moving the 3650 back and forth. LOL I have had my TS2400 for several years now and it does have the cut quality and accuracy of the 3650.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Although I think my TS3650 is outstanding, I would go with the TS2400LS for that scenario. I can see where you might take a 2 Wheel Lawn Cart (rated for about 400 lbs to hold the saw and an 80lb sheet of 3/4 ply) and adapt it to hold the saw without the legs. However, I would be concerned that the bouncing around would knock the table extensions, (and thence the fence rails) out of whack, not to mention it probably wouldn't do the motor any good bouncing on the belt. If you took the table extensions off to lighten it, you'd have to cut the fence rails or rig another support, and then you would have the same surface as the 2400.
      When I was looking for a TS in Jan, I had settled on the TS2400 over the DeWalt and the Bosch because it had a thicker table, sturdier body, IMHO a better fence, and a better mobile stand. I then came to the realization that what carpentry odd-jobs I now do away from home for family can be handled with my compund miter saw (mounted on an MSUV of course), a circular saw, and saw horses. So I sprang the xtra $$ for the TS3650 and have not been sorry. I'm lucky in that I have a garage (oops, thats a "workshop". Don't want LOML to get the wrong idea).
      my 2 cents
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I agree with the others. I would look at the TS2400. I have heard a lot of great things about that saw (I also have the TS3650 in my "workshop"). I don't see a good way for you to move that saw across your lawn and keep things in good working condition. I don't think you need to be as concerned about the jobsite saw as it may seem.

WWS
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

The 2400 will be way easier to move and store but if you see a shop in your future and would rather the 3650 you could use sheets of 5/8 T & G and roll the saw across the lawn on them. Just leapfrog the sheets so you only need 2. Not sure how wide the roller base is but if it is narrow enough you may be able to rip a sheet in half lengthwise. You could also attach some 3/4" runners on the sides of the sheets so the saw can't slip off the edge.

Comment

I think the 3650 has some performance, capacity, noise, and longevity advantages, however for your application, the 3650 seems cumbersome to move like that regularly. The 2400 is much more portable, and you might find the accuracy to be good enough....just use a good blade.

Comment

accuracy rules

I need to cut aluminum plate (typically to square up stock or route edges) so accuracy is my main concern after budget. Is the calibration for the TS2400 as good as the TS3650? Does the calibration hold up as long on the cheaper model? I'm also concerned that cutting metal on the graphite surface will wear out the TS2400 prematurely. Does anyone have any experience on the durability of these saws for my application when compared to the Bosch, Delta and the Dewalt?

Comment

With the 2400 being a direct drive saw (as are your other choices) I would be concerned that metal filings would easily find there way into the motor and eventually short it out.

For metal work I would think the 3650 with the outboard motor would stand a better chance of survival.

Comment

If you're mainly cutting aluminum plate (such as diamond plate), you may want to look at getting a plasma cutter and use a 4" high speed grinder to true up the edges. The flap brush disc will put a pretty slick finish on it especially if you clamp a piece of angle to it as a guide.

If you go this route, and do it on your patio, make sure you don't have the plasma cutter blowing onto the patio. It will torch wood, and will blow holes in concrete or masonry (heats up the moisture to steam which literally blows chunks out of it).

It may require running a 220v circuit to power it though. Just a different idea
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor
                    Thanks for the idea but I guess you missed the emphasis on budget.

wbrooks
                    That's a good point but I believe the TS3650 is also open and vulnerable to this problem and besides that, the TS2400 has a lifetime guarantee. The real issue here is if the accuracy of the lower priced unit will match the more expensive one given the same blade and material. I'm a little concerned about the graphite table on the 2400 and it's susceptibility to wear and wobble while passing the aluminum stock over it. Aluminum is much sharper and harder than wood so this is an issue. It's also much less forgiving of inaccurate cuts when you have to fit and finish. If I'm going to invest in a throwaway unit, I would probably go with a Ryobi instaed of a 2400. From what I understand, the only thing I would give up with the Ryobi is portability when put against the TS2400.

Comment

Next batter

[quote=yldouright]Gofor
                      Thanks for the idea but I guess you missed the emphasis on budget.

wbrooks
                      That's a good point but I believe the TS3650 is also open and vulnerable to this problem STRIKE ONE! and besides that, the TS2400 has a lifetime guarantee STRIKE TWO!. The real issue here is if the accuracy of the lower priced unit will match the more expensive one given the same blade and material. I'm a little concerned about the graphite table on the 2400 and it's susceptibility to wear and wobble while passing the aluminum stock over it. Aluminum is much sharper and harder than wood so this is an issue. It's also much less forgiving of inaccurate cuts when you have to fit and finish. If I'm going to invest in a throwaway unit,?????? I would probably go with a Ryobi instaed of a 2400. From what I understand, the only thing I would give up with the Ryobi is portability when put against the TS2400.STRIKE THREE, YOU'RE OUTTA THERE! [/quote]
                      10 characters
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I sure wouldn't spend the money for a TS2400 just to cut aluminum on. You can get blades for a circular saw, jig saw, or reciprocating saw that will do the job you need. As for gouging and wearing the table, I wouldn't cover that in any kind of warrenty when the user knows this will happen. My $.02
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Lorax
                          I didn't know you were the designated umpire here but a little clarification here for a newbie would be in order.
                          1. Are you stating that the TS3650 motor is completely sealed off?
                          2. Are you stating that the TS2400 never had a lifetime warranty of any kind or that Ridgid decided to repeal it?
                          3. If I was wrong about the Ryobi being a superior value then please enlighten me as to why I am incorrect.
                          Without sensible replies to these questions it would appear that the catcher dropped the third strike and I'm on my way to first base

papadan
                          I thought I clearly stated that accuracy was my first priority after budget so I don't understand the recommendation for a reciprocating saw or jigsaw. Are you saying that there are reciprocating technologies available in my modest budget which have superior accuracy on straight cuts to the table saws mentioned here?! If so, please point me to them, I'm very interested
                          Last edited by yldouright; 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Hey mpiotro, Welcome to the forums. I to am into home audio and car audio as well. I was actually going to pick up my TS3650 on sunday, but now have to wait until next weekend. Anyway, the main reason that I am pick up this saw is for home/car audio enclosures. For the past few years, I have been using my dads Bosch 4000 tablesaw. The saw was mainly purchased for home remodeling and for his "workshop". Dont get me wrong it is an awesome saw, but it is extremely lacking in the girth department. Every time I use it I get frusterated, and keep looking forward to my 3650. Granted the Bosch and the TS2400 are two different saws, but the layout and size are almost identical. Now my situation is completely different then yours as far as where it can be used, but for what its worth, I think I would deffinately look into making some sort or "Off Road Cart" that could be used to transport the saw back an forth. I look at it this way, you can yell and swear for 10min while you move the saw back and forth, or spend the next 20 years regreting not getting the one you really wanted. I am by no means an expert here, or claim that I know what Im talking about. Im just giving you something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by yldouright
                              Lorax
                              I didn't know you were the designated umpire here Well, now you know. but a little clarification here for a newbie would be in order. Sez who?
                              1. Are you stating that the TS3650 motor is completely sealed off?
                              What part of "Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled" don't you understand?
                              2. Are you stating that the TS2400 never had a lifetime warranty of any kind or that Ridgid decided to repeal it?
                              You're the one that said the 2400 has a "lifetime guarantee" when it fact it has a 3 year warranty.
                              3. If I was wrong about the Ryobi being a superior value then please enlighten me as to why I am incorrect.
                              Either way, I don't consider either one a "throwaway unit."
                              Without sensible replies to these questions it would appear that the catcher dropped the third strike and I'm on my way to first base
                              Anyone who bothered to do a search would know you're on your way to the dugout.

papadan
                              I thought I clearly stated that accuracy was my first priority after budget so I don't understand the recommendation for a reciprocating saw or jigsaw. Are you saying that there are reciprocating technologies available in my modest budget which have superior accuracy on straight cuts to the table saws mentioned here?! If so, please point me to them, I'm very interested
                              10 characters
                              Lorax
                              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
                              X