X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get this back into shape

Hi all,

Okay I built this table thing about 8 years ago never finished it

So now want to get it done and need suggestions on finishing it.

Okay I first applied a dye don't remember which one but Alcohol based did not like it so sanded it off.

Okay still some is left.

So would a wood bleach remove the rest?

I want to satin it cherry and make a cherry top that pins thru dowels or steel pins as top will be removeable about 1/4 deep on pins maybe drill rod to put my best points in {Arrow Heads} for the Lay folks.

Inside will be lined in something to cover the ugly brown stain

Wood is Hard maple legs are glued up Maple and bottom tray is 1/4 birch plywood.

All M&T .

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

kind of long winded but after 4 cups of Coffee well you know.

Pictures Below.

http://community.webshots.com/album/548992425ROfhUW

Thanks
    Jeff
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

I think bleach would be ok. It might turn it blonde tho....ok sorry...j/k about that! If you use a dilute bleach solution and don't let it set then I think it'd lighten it. Just mix some bleach in a cup with water. Use a small amount of bleach to begin with, and do some test areas to see how it does. Make sure to wipe up the solution quickly. The table will need to dry completely before applying the stain, of course.

For the inside, you can use dense foam (the dark grey stuff they ship the points in sometimes) and flock it. They sell the glue and flocking at craft stores, and sometimes at HD. The flocking by itself might be ok, but I just like the foam so I can be sure the points wouldn't roll around.

Must be quite a nice collection of points! I just started in archery a couple years ago. Those doggone points are EXPENSIVE!!! Well....seems everything in archery is expensive, but you can really spend some money on the points!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy
      I think bleach would be ok. It might turn it blonde tho....ok sorry...j/k about that! If you use a dilute bleach solution and don't let it set then I think it'd lighten it. Just mix some bleach in a cup with water. Use a small amount of bleach to begin with, and do some test areas to see how it does. Make sure to wipe up the solution quickly. The table will need to dry completely before applying the stain, of course.

For the inside, you can use dense foam (the dark grey stuff they ship the points in sometimes) and flock it. They sell the glue and flocking at craft stores, and sometimes at HD. The flocking by itself might be ok, but I just like the foam so I can be sure the points wouldn't roll around.

Must be quite a nice collection of points! I just started in archery a couple years ago. Those doggone points are EXPENSIVE!!! Well....seems everything in archery is expensive, but you can really spend some money on the points!

Okay these points are like 10,000 to 12,000 years Old

So a case for old points my man.

Thanks for the tips though will use them.
      Jeff

Comment

Used is good

Originally posted by Reef12
        Okay these points are like 10,000 to 12,000 years Old
        Hey, It's OK. They probably still have a lot of use left in them. Not everyone can afford to buy new ones.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
          Hey, It's OK. They probably still have a lot of use left in them. Not everyone can afford to buy new ones.
          Yep especially with all the new tools so who has any left over change
          Jeff

Comment

Are you planning on "sandwiching" the points between glass and Foam or batting, or are you going to lay them on the bottom with a space between them and the top? I've never liked the sandwhich myself, but some people do. FYI I like using foamcore with fabric glued to it as the bottom for display cases. Putting fabric directly on the bottom/sides of a case is a real pain. Since your points are stone, I wouldn't think you need to be too concerned about glues/finishes offgasing harmful organics, but I would let it completely dry before closing it up and putting in your points. I would also avoid oil based finishes and glues unless it is lacquer or shellac. I have seen some display cases in museums that had a coating on the inside of the glass on all their cases from the finish on the wood. I think it was finished with oil based poly, possibly some other oil based varnish.

Comment

Originally posted by Clovishound
              Are you planning on "sandwiching" the points between glass and Foam or batting, or are you going to lay them on the bottom with a space between them and the top? I've never liked the sandwhich myself, but some people do. FYI I like using foamcore with fabric glued to it as the bottom for display cases. Putting fabric directly on the bottom/sides of a case is a real pain. Since your points are stone, I wouldn't think you need to be too concerned about glues/finishes offgasing harmful organics, but I would let it completely dry before closing it up and putting in your points. I would also avoid oil based finishes and glues unless it is lacquer or shellac. I have seen some display cases in museums that had a coating on the inside of the glass on all their cases from the finish on the wood. I think it was finished with oil based poly, possibly some other oil based varnish.

Lay them on the bottom with removeable top so can change them around.

Might just paint it in Glosss black with a Cherry top.
              Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X