No announcement yet.

Rough wood

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough wood

My wife wants some trees cleared from the backyard (it seems every winter we lose 3 or 4 and there are a few huge maples back there that could take out our deck)

I thought that if I'm going to pay someone to come out and cut down a few maples, that I might as well get someone out here to mill the wood for me too. My neighbor (who has one of those shops everyone dreams of) said he'd split the cost with me and take half of the wood.

My question is I have no idea how much wood I have? The guy with the portable band saw / milling rig will only come out for 2000 ft or more. He charges 0.19 a foot, so that seems like a bargain, if indeed I have at least 2000 ft of good hardwood.

My question is how many trees is 2000 ft? I realize it depends on the size of the tree and how much usable wood there is etc. Let's just say I've got a few trees that have a diameter of about 2ft and are about 3 stories high?

Is this even worth my while? I really have no idea???

Since board feet is a measure of volume, you just have to calculate the volume of your logs. Now don't you wish you paid more attention back in math class? In your example a log 2 ft in dia and 30 ft long would equal 1130 board feet counting every scrap of bark. I have no idea how much useable lumber you could get out of it.
    Does your sawyer know this is "urban timber"? A lot of them won't cut it cause of all the nails etc typically found in backyard trees.
    If you tell the sawyer how big your logs are, I'm sure he can tell you how many useable board feet of lumber they will produce.
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

So 3 of those samples would prob be enough to justify it then. It isn't urban timber, we built this house in the woods, lot had to be cleared etc. I think the trees are dying from all of the machinery that was moving around and blasting when the development was being cut out of the ridge.

Try this link. Enter the values and it will tell you how many board feet are in the log.