Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Jointer Question

Hi,

I read a review of the Rigid JP0610 jointer and it mentioned that the minimum thickness of board that could be planed is 3/4". Also, there is an opening in the blade guard that allowed boards thinner than 3/4" to slde underneath it and not push the guard out of the way when planning this thickness of board.

Has this slot in the guard been an issue for anyone that owns/used this jointer when planning wood?

Thanks,
    Frank

FSK, that's true. I had some boards I had resawn to about 1/4" on the bandsaw. I ended up using a handplane to flatten the sawn side. Probably could have used the planer, but a handplane worked fine for my needs.

The jointer just wouldn't do the boards. There was far too much chatter, even when I pushed the gaurd out of the way.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by FSK
      Hi,

I read a review of the Rigid JP0610 jointer and it mentioned that the minimum thickness of board that could be planed is 3/4". Also, there is an opening in the blade guard that allowed boards thinner than 3/4" to slde underneath it and not push the guard out of the way when planning this thickness of board.

Has this slot in the guard been an issue for anyone that owns/used this jointer when planning wood?

Thanks,
      Frank
      I have had my jointer since December ’05. I have planned ½” and 3/8” stock with it. The guard gets in the way a bit, but it is easy to work around. I use the push block to move the guard out of the way, as I am sliding the wood across the cutter head. It may sound more dangerous then it is, but I do not find it a problem.

Comment

Hate to say it but I remove mine if under 3/4 inch

I would rather have the guard out the way then have to deal with it and less then 3/4 " cuts

Yes but set the fence to width of board should be all right caution is the thing.

And of cause always use the two Orange push blocks better to have them lose a chunk then your hand.

Never have tried 3/8" close real close

Do you not get a lot of chatter?
        Not responsible for speeling mistakes
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Reef12
          Hate to say it but I remove mine if under 3/4 inch

Never have tried 3/8" close real close

Do you not get a lot of chatter?

No, I made very light cuts without any chatter.

Comment

3/4'' min. on rigid jointer ,no problem.

I made a special push block to joint boards of upto a 1/4'' thick on my jointer. Mill a 36'' 2/6 4 square and add a 1'' dowel 8'' from each end on top,centered on the board to use as handles. Glue an old sanding belt to the bottom with spray adheasive for good purchase. This push block will support the board to be jointed for most of the jointers surface and most of the boards length and eliminate chatter. And at the same time will push the guard out of the way. It will also keep your hands far from the action.

Comment

Originally posted by joe.s
              ... Mill a 36'' 2/6 4 square ...
              Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying the Rigid. Not sure what the above part means though ...

FSK

Comment

I think Joe means to square all 4 sides of a 3 ft long, 2x6 to use as a push block with 1 inch dowels being the handles.
                At least that's how I interpret his post. Could be something different?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyH
                  I think Joe means to square all 4 sides of a 3 ft long, 2x6 to use as a push block with 1 inch dowels being the handles.
                  At least that's how I interpret his post. Could be something different?
                  That Joe is a real Carpenter
                  Not responsible for speeling mistakes
                  Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X