X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay these side wings just won't line up

Well as the subject says on the Ts 3650 the two tables will not get even at the tops.

I thought I could live with it being a little out but they are starting to cut my Veneer plwood as they run thru it.

Little lines from the edges where the tables meet in center at main table not edges

Okay I have done all the Cursing and swearing so now it is time to get it fixed.

Have loosened the fences and all the side wing bolts but no way with c clamps {3 }do they line up to top.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

You think if I shim the bottom with soda can metal that will make tops line up can't see how really.
    Not responsible for speeling mistakes
    Jeff

If the wings are tilting down at the outside edges then yes shiming at the bottom should will raise them up. That in turn should flatten out the joint where the inside edge of the wing meets the edges of the saws tabletop.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but this wing alignment issue is something new. This is not the first person to in past couple months has had trouble with aligning the wings on their TS. The number (though small) has spiked from previous reports which (without going back and searching) were only a handful spread out over a couple years. I think there have been at least five such reports since the beginning of the year. Of the number of saws sold, how many do you think join this forum and how many of those even post a problem such as this? Maybe 5%?? If so then there are plenty of other owners fighting the same problem.

Maybe there is (or was for a time) a manufacturing problem. Maybe those holes were not being drilled in the right spot, maybe a just one or two mm off, that's all it takes to give someone fits during assembly.

There could be nothing wrong with the way the parts are being milled and drilled, it could just be that these people are all not comprehending the instructions and going about it all wrong. I find that hard to believe....do you?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
        I don't know about anyone else, but this wing alignment issue is something new. This is not the first person to in past couple months has had trouble with aligning the wings on their TS. The number (though small) has spiked from previous reports which (without going back and searching) were only a handful spread out over a couple years. I think there have been at least five such reports since the beginning of the year. Of the number of saws sold, how many do you think join this forum and how many of those even post a problem such as this? Maybe 5%?? If so then there are plenty of other owners fighting the same problem.

Maybe there is (or was for a time) a manufacturing problem. Maybe those holes were not being drilled in the right spot, maybe a just one or two mm off, that's all it takes to give someone fits during assembly.

There could be nothing wrong with the way the parts are being milled and drilled, it could just be that these people are all not comprehending the instructions and going about it all wrong. I find that hard to believe....do you?

Well Bob you might of hit it on the Head I have used 3 C clamps all set in different positions still no luck I was thinking that in the long run I might dare I say it , remove the suckers and drill the holes a tad bigger

Thought I could live with it but it will cut into anything you shove across it not bad on solid stock but on Veneer that is as thin as paper it is a bear.

Especially when using a clamp down miter gauge.

I will give it a go this weekend when have more time.
        Jeff

Comment

OK, I must have missed something here, I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by drilling out the holes and make them larger?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Bob, I was thinking about the same thing lately I have seen an increase of post that read how difficult it is to put together not just their TS but jointer, and planner.

All, there is no point on fighting with these tools; the experience should be a bit challenging but rewarding. I would say cut your losses and return the machine, I know it is a Hassel now but if you are not confident that it is being setup right wait until you start building stuff, not only you will loose money on the wood, time and you will be very unhappy. I know dissembling the machine is a pain especially if you were almost done.
            However keep in mind you can return it get a new one and try again, if everything else fails, change brands. Don't get stuck with a machine that is defective from the start.

I read on every manual, use the tools for was it is intended and don't force the tool to do something it is not intended to do. Following these guidelines, then a defective tool is no longer the tool that can do the job and it can be outright dangerous.

My expertise, I purchase my TS last year, I have never done woodworking before, I am not mechanical inclined, don't know anything about electricity... all right you get the point.
            I was able to assemble my TS in about 4-6h, read and followed what the manual said. I can tell you, I didn’t have to put shims, nor did I have to use a drill to set this machine up.

Follow the instructions and if it can not be done, then return it and get an exchange or get another brand, the idea is to do woodworking not to spend your time redesigning a machine or maybe it is….

Regards,
            olilugo

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
              OK, I must have missed something here, I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by drilling out the holes and make them larger?
              I think his idea is to make the holes larger so there will be enough "slack" to let the wing sit a smidge lower and do away with his uneven table wing messing with his wood. I would not recommend it myself. If the tool required that and nothing else worked I would agree with others and return it.

I do agree with Bob in that there does seem to be a higher frequency of people having this same issue. Getting the wings even on my TS was no problem for me (although I admit to having a helper which made it much easier to hold things in place for me ). Has the famous "arbor issue" transformed into something else?

Reef12, do you possibly have someone else who might be able to help you out for a bit and help support the wing while adjusting it to help you get it more even? If that or shims don't work I'm not sure of another suggestion...

WWS
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith
                I think his idea is to make the holes larger so there will be enough "slack" to let the wing sit a smidge lower and do away with his uneven table wing messing with his wood. I would not recommend it myself. If the tool required that and nothing else worked I would agree with others and return it.

I do agree with Bob in that there does seem to be a higher frequency of people having this same issue. Getting the wings even on my TS was no problem for me (although I admit to having a helper which made it much easier to hold things in place for me ). Has the famous "arbor issue" transformed into something else?

Reef12, do you possibly have someone else who might be able to help you out for a bit and help support the wing while adjusting it to help you get it more even? If that or shims don't work I'm not sure of another suggestion...

WWS

Wife helped me first time still this table will not meet even to center table either wing will not.

So I am mechanically inclined that is why we usually drill over size to allow wiggle room as we call it

Heck will try again on sat morning to get them both set.

I bet they never let the cast Iron cure for a year either

Before they surfaced them

Worse comes to worse it is not bad at all really just on Veneered wood so it will wear after awhile.

Also the center table has high spots can see them now.

But I still give this table 5 stars for the bucks and power.

Jointer not a problem as of yet and wired for 220 Planer does a killer job also.

Wonder how the Band saw and drill press are like??
                Last edited by Reef12; 04-12-2006, 07:26 PM.
                Jeff

Comment

To Ridgid management

I bought my TS3650 on 10 Jan 2006. Ser # is PO44963271. I had none of the problems with the wings, table flatness, miter slot/saw blade alignment, etc that have popped up in the last month. Ridgid management: I think you have a problem in production that warrants attention. I have been strongly recommending this saw on several forums due to its outstanding quality, and based on feedback, have had a positive impact on peoples decisions to buy this item. But I will be taking a hiatus from that for a while until you get the quality back to where it was when I bought it. I will not compromise my integrity for your laxity in quality control or changes you instituted to make things more profitable at the expense of quality
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I had some problems aligning the bolt holes as well, during my recent assembly trial. I found the answer was to start the center two bolts first, screw them in about 1 full turn, then pull the extension wing away from the main table and get the two outside bolts in. It took a wee while to do as I was by myself and I had the saw upright, but eventually I managed.

I am not sure I would want to muck around re-boring the holes. I would return the saw first.
                    "Dad, E means empty, NOT broken" - my cousin Doug, to his dad after the tractor ran out of diesel and Ed claimed the gas gauge was broken.

Comment

Hi Reef - Obviously I don't know the details of the issue you're facing. It's not uncommon for cast iron wings to require a bit of shimming, but it sounds like you may be facing a bigger issue. Even of the wings are warped slightly you should be able to get the edges aligned to the table.

You've probably already checked, but you might look to be sure that there are no burrs on the edges that are interferring. A little work with the file can fix that fast. If the edges are milled severely out of square, then you could have a problem.

Good luck...

Comment

Not a problem getting the edges lined up it's the top the centers on both do not raise enough to line with center table.

But we are talking thousands of a inch not big like 1/16" or 1/32"

You get one side and the center will not line up kind of a win win situation but I am not winning

I will get the sucker one way or another.
                        Jeff

Comment

Update long

Never got around to the wings but did reset the Trunnion was off a tad.

Heck of a lot better.

I guess in my Newbie hurry to cut wood never really checked it that much.

But crossing cutting wood showed up as a bunch.

Kind of wondered why it always had that last bit of hit before leaving the Splitter.

But after owning a Craftsman direct drive many moons ago thought they all did that.

Should of remembered that the Uni saws at work did not

Table saws are not made to cross cut IMO

I think ripping is their thing.

So what do you all use to cross cut 4x8 sheets of 1/4 back?

At work they used one of those Big German machines with dial in lengths and a sliding extension table about 9 feet long
                          Jeff

Comment

Same prob

I had the problem of the wings not being flush with the table. It was only a few thousandths, but I knew it would drive me nuts. All I did was use a rat-tail file to elongate the bolt hole in the wing just slightly. Re-installed the wing, snugged it up, use a rubber 'dead blow' hammer and got it to within .002 on my indicator. I figured that was close enuff.
                            Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by hilligan
                              I had the problem of the wings not being flush with the table. It was only a few thousandths, but I knew it would drive me nuts. All I did was use a rat-tail file to elongate the bolt hole in the wing just slightly. Re-installed the wing, snugged it up, use a rubber 'dead blow' hammer and got it to within .002 on my indicator. I figured that was close enuff.
                              Hope this helps.

Never went back and tried them again.

Good idea might do it one of these days.

Saw still rocks and cuts like a dream.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X