X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Shop

Looking to start my shop in my garage. Looking for advice on what tools to start with. Thinking about getting the following Ridgid Tools: Table Saw-TS3650; Jointer-JP0610; 10" or 12" miter saw; and Router-R2930. Was looking at Ridgid's 2.5" Finish Angled Nailer, but was leaning towards Porter Cables combo kit that comes with 3 guns and a small compressor for $328. First project would be a kitchen farm type table, then a bedroom dresser. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any buying tips to get a good deal at HD? Thanks in advance.

If you go with that many Ridgid items find an HD 20% coupon before they expire on 4/30. I'd also add a planer to maximize what a jointer can do......these two machines will help you start every project with flat, straight, square lumber...which makes life much nicer in the shop.
    Last edited by hewood; 04-16-2006, 07:27 AM.

Comment

One tool I was advised to get was a band saw. I got the Ridgid 14" band saw, and it's one tool that I use every single time I'm doing a project. I was really surprised at how handy that tool is! If you can spare the change, that'd be a good place to put the cash. Having a brad nailer (or two) is also a handy thing (PONKA PONKA <<< that's for Nobu).

Good luck with the shop!!! It's really great to get these tools and get working. The 3650 was a purchase I made to start the shop, and I am REALLY happy with it. For the price, I don't think you can find a better fence on a stock saw.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Paulbes

The nailers are nice to have but they get limited use in woodworking, primarily used in building jigs or attaching non-load bearing joints in hidden spots. The same goes for the miter saw, if a lot of trim work is in your future then one is indispensable, but for the projects you listed I would forgo the miter saw and purchase an aftermarket miter gage for your table saw. As stated above a planner gets a lot of use and allows you to purchase rough lumber which is much more economical. Band saws get used a lot and a table to mount that router in comes in very handy too, the list goes on and on. One thing to remember is that any company’s tool line is not going to excel on every tool, they usually have a lemon or two nestled amongst their better performers. Do your homework; keep asking questions and you’ll end up with a shop full of tools that you can enjoy for decades.

Good luck

Woodslayer

Comment

Good advice from all. Go with the PC compressor combo set for nailers. You will not need anything like 2 1/2" for woodworking. Brad and finish nailers are used to hold pieces until glue dries and for attaching moldings and trim pieces. I agree with adding the planer. You can save half or more on lumber costs with rough cut. I have a Delta 8 1/4" compound miter saw that I use for trim and moldings. Can be had for about $100. Table saw will take care of most all cutting needs. Spend the rest of the larger miter saw money on a quality miter gauge for the TS. I like the Kreg miter system, $160.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

alabamdan

Looks like your going to make alot of saw dust. Better look into a good shop vac or a dust collector.

Comment

Any idea where to get the 20% HD coupon? All your advice helps a lot. Thank you!

Comment

Check ebay for them ....
                I saw them before over there.....

Comment

Don't forget...

Hey, don't forget about a drill press! I use mine a bunch.
                  I bought the Ridgid and absolutely love it!

Thanks for the "PONKA" Sandy
                  Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

Thanks Mrlttlman! Just got 2 on ebay. Now maybe I can afford the drill press too.

Comment

By the way, got to this site by accident, but this is awesome. Lot of knowledge out there!

Comment

I would be very curious to know whether those 20% coupons are accepted at HD. One of the e-bay merchants basically said "buyer beware."

Comment

home depot coupons

Sound too good- Has anyone used the coupons from ebay yet?

Comment

20% HD discount and Gift Cards

I see Hpme Depot has a power tool sale which by spending certain dollar amounts you can get different dollar value gift cards. Can the 20% discount card be used on conjunction with this offer? If so,
                            I could really build my shop!

Comment

I have heard that HD managers scrutinize those 20% coupons closely because they were intended for employees. Please post back with your experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X