45 deg box joints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 deg box joints

Has anyone out there ever created a 45 degree box joint? I would like to make myself an octagonal poker table. The only way i see to make this joint is by making a custom jig for my router table but I can't seem to figure out exactly how....Thanks

angle joints

To do the box I'm finishing right now, I set the table saw blade to 45deg and made the cuts with it. I double-checked the blade angle with an angle-finder, and it was right on without any movement while making all the cuts. My next project is a cross-cut sled........woulda been mighty handy for those box cuts!!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Don't you mean 22.5 degress instead of 45?
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
        Don't you mean 22.5 degress instead of 45?
        TOD: cat44 would definitely have to use 22.5 degrees--I don't know if VASandy is making a square table or what?, but what is confusing me is what Cat mean't by a box joint. I have seen boxes with butt joints, mitres, lap joints. dovetails, etc. Which is he trying to make?:confused;

Comment

Drawing may help

Guys, I have attached a drawing b.c i'm not good at explaing this in words. The joint is also called a finger joint, but i've heard it called so many things. I've built 2 of these tables before but with miters and splines but i like this look better plus it is a stronger joint. Thanks for any help you can offer.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cat

That is a cool looking joint and could be challenging but this is how I would attempt it. I would first build a jig similar to a normal box joint jig except that it would tilt back 45° instead of true vertical. Simply crosscut the boards at a 45°angle prior to making the box joints in a normal fashion on either the TS or router table. I too suffer from not being able to explain myself so if you can’t follow me refer back to your picture, the bottom board would be the TS or router table with the blade or bit set to that height. The area where Top View is written is the jig, the board being worked is the one pointing 45° to the upper left, push it through, move over and repeat.

Good luck with your table, post some pictures when you’re done.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayers idea is how I would do it but you will need to run them at 22.5 not 45.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I have to disagree with you on that one Tod, if they butted together it would be 22.5°, but since they essentially run through the joint to form the angle they need to be the desired angle of the joint, just as a square utilizing box joints would have the joints cut at 90°.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for the help Woodslayer. That's along the lines i was thinking, i just havent seen it done before. I'll be sure to post pics when i finally get around to building the table.

Comment

Cat44: Thanks for posting the drawing. In this part of the country, we call that a finger joint--that's what confused me. I agree with Woodslayer on the process. You might want to try a sample, and I would suggest trying the process by using a series of strips (i.e. 1/4 inch plywood clamped to your rip guide and removing them one at a time for each successive cut--that way you will get uniform cuts and concistency for your fits, Just my two cents worth.
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X