X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boring holes in the end of 4X4's

I need to drill 2" dia holes in the ends of 4 4X4's to accept dowels. When I say end I mean in the end grain and parallel with the grain. I only have a bench top drill press which I tried with a 2" forstner bit but failed miserably. I thought about using a hole saw in my hand held drill but then I would be left with cleaning out the hole afterward. The 4X4's are 28" long so they are difficult to work with.

Just brainstorming but can you bolt the base of you drill press to your bench backwards so the quill faces the back of your bench. Now loosen the set screw that holds the drill press head to the base and rotate the head so the quill is now facing you and over the floor. You should now have about 40" of space under your chuck. Clamp the 4x4 to the bench and use the forstner bit to slowly bore the hole.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. I have already tried that though. I have the drill press bolted to the bench and the forstner bit directly over the end of the 4X4. The wood is clamped into my vise but the problem is that there is about 6-8" of wood above the vise so it vibrates quite a lot when trying to drill it. I thought about using the hole saw first then boring out the remainder with the forstner bit. I might just try that tomorrow.

Comment

try setting your speed to the slowest possible, that should make any vibration managable, and feed slow

Comment

a forstner bit makes a very clean hole, but it's not self feeding.

try a self feed bit on a length of scrap. a 1/2'' drill motor at approx. 450 rpm should work great. this is what us plumber use to drill all those studs

i even have a 4 5/8'' bit. takes alot of muscle to hold it still. also the 1 tooth lenox hole saws drill real easy, but then you need to break off the plug without a through hole. you might be able to use the holesaw then follow it up with a butterfly bit.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Still new to site, but is this another boring topic.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
            a forstner bit makes a very clean hole, but it's not self feeding.

try a self feed bit on a length of scrap. a 1/2'' drill motor at approx. 450 rpm should work great. this is what us plumber use to drill all those studs

i even have a 4 5/8'' bit. takes alot of muscle to hold it still. also the 1 tooth lenox hole saws drill real easy, but then you need to break off the plug without a through hole. you might be able to use the holesaw then follow it up with a butterfly bit.

rick.
            Hole saw and a monarch I'm for that after trying the self feed auger. Genius. My uncle was a plumber, I wonder if I should have ..... um. Hey Rick great post. It's comments like yours Rick that make for good reads. Wait, these are all good reads, everyone single one of these.

Comment

Working...
            X