X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortise Jig for Drill Press

Just got the 1550 Drill Press and trying to find a mortising jig for it. The Delta and Jet jig won't fit because it is too big around the collar. Any jigs you know that work?

Does the manual give the diameter? If not measure it yourself in millimeters), then go shopping at Grizzly, Sears, or a number of others, you should be able to find one that will work for you. Ridgids does sell one (occasionally), but you will wait forever to get it from Fridgidparts
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Grizzly.com has one. The quill diameter for the ridgid drill press is 60mm, so pick the grizzly mortise attachment that is 60mm. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago for right around $30.00. The mortising chisels/bits are around $9.00 each.

Kai

Comment

I have the same drill press and the Delta one works with it you just can't attach it around the collar but it will go just above it. You only lose 1/2" of travel. I picked it up discounted so that is the only reason I didn't go with the grizzly. But the Delta does work.

Comment

Originally posted by mijfwb View Post
          I have the same drill press and the Delta one works with it you just can't attach it around the collar but it will go just above it. You only lose 1/2" of travel. I picked it up discounted so that is the only reason I didn't go with the grizzly. But the Delta does work.
          According ti the instrucyions for the Delta it is designed to go above the collar.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I tried to use the Delta mortise attachment that claimed it would fit, but had the the same problem as you (the collar did not fit). Ridgid was back ordered for the mortise attachment, but I finally managed to get it after a month. The Ridgid mortise has worked well, sure beats drilling round holes and hand mortising. The only problem I had was occasionally dropping bits during tightening, just remembering to put a piece of wood under the bit when changing solves that problem.
            JC

Comment

I got the mortise attachment from Ridgid Parts. Ordertree.com was where I found it. It was a while ago, but the people at Ordertree were pretty good to work with.

The attachment fits perfectly, and I've had no trouble as long as I remember to put a piece of wood to catch the bit that inevitably falls out, or I leave the little plastic piece on the end while tightening the bit. It really is a lot easier to do things with the mortise bits. For the last project I did, I mortised in a piece of black walnut to a lid of a box to make a handle. It sure was easier to use the mortise bit! The only thing I don't really like is the fence attachment. It's difficult to set up. It's a nice fence, once set properly. I just have found that for most projects, a straight edge board and a couple clamps work fine.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Re: Mortise Jig for Drill Press

Originally posted by paulbes View Post
                Just got the 1550 Drill Press and trying to find a mortising jig for it. The Delta and Jet jig won't fit because it is too big around the collar. Any jigs you know that work?
                I bought the Delta Jig and found that i can get it to fit with the intermediate split collar provided (keeping the gap in the front). Has anyone tried that? Is that not the right approach?

The other problemn I find in that the jig has to attach fairly high up past the chuck, and so the chisel has to sit lower than normal in the jig in order to align properly with the bit. This seems be to as a result of the design of the Ridgid DP. Does anyone notice a similar issue with the Grizzly or other jigs?

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X