Mini Cyclones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Cyclones

I am looking a making a mini cyclone for my shop vac. I have seen Bob Pentz site, and he appears to have a fine plan for a full size model. Does anyone out there know where I can get a half scale model of that design. Normally I would say take it to a copier and hit 50%, but air is a bit funny in that not all air flow proerties are linear in nature, but rather geometric. I have a fear that half scaling will result in too much static loss, or too high a velocity to effectively seperate the finer dust. I am a Civil (traffic) engineer, so the fluid dynamics is a bit rusty. Any mechanicals out there who can assist. I assume that the critical design feature is the air velocity on the air ramp inside the cyclone.
    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

If you have a local store that sells these you could always take your tape measure, pad and pencil and be prepared for some awkward stares as you attempt to copy someone else’s design.
    http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...eputy/main.htm

Woodslayer

Comment

Roadrunner -

When you get it figured out, please post your findings. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
        ..... be prepared for some awkward stares as you attempt to copy someone else’s design.
        http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...eputy/main.htm

Woodslayer
        That would be the easy way, but my ethics won't let me. I will post any links that are not shown in replies here. I have seen one by Oneida that appears to fit on a standard 5 gal bucket, which ironically is what I was planning on using as the upper section in my design. I primarily need to figure out the diameter of the outflow pipe and the cone size to make this setup work.

Comment

A Shop vac and dust collection are not the same thing.They each are designed to do different things. A DC is designed to move large volumes of air, a shop vac is not designed to and will not capture fine dust. Dont waste your time and effort scaling a cyclone to fit your shop vac.
          Read Pentz's site a little more closely and you'll see why.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I was just looking for a way to get the bulk of the big chips out of the stream. So, even with a Gore-Tex Filter in the Shop Vac, the dangerous stuff is still getting through. Oh, well, up goes the garage door next time I sand. I'd love to investigate Pentz's site a bit more, but I would like some time to woodwork. I'm an engineer, but Pentz takes it to a level of detail that I could never replicate. Got to say one thing, that guy ha really done his homework. Thanks Raphael, I guess I will have to bit the bullet and get a full blown DC. Most here say that the HF DC is a good low buck starter, assuming you replace the bags. Would that setup work OK on the downstream side of the cyclone?

Comment

Well, you might try one of these (click the pic):

The price doesn't seem too high, although you could make one with a regular trash can lid and some pvc connectors, I think.

I might try one to use w/ my ts2400 and shop vac. My shop vac isn't that big, and really fills up fast when I use the TS.
              De Colores,
              Dow
              Boerne, TX

Comment

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408
                this is my first attempt at sending someone a link. Hope it works. I built this item and it does a fair job. I used a 5 gal pail, some plywood to strengthen the top of the pail where the fittings penetrated it and a few plastic plumbing parts. It's not as efficient as the Oneida Cyclone, but it doesn't cost $129.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                X