X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crap on new router bits

O.K. so I got a huge selection of router bits as a present (I suspect they are el cheapo's). They are covered (shielded) for shipping, I assume, in a rather thick clear "goo". Do I take the "crap" off, or just run the bit on scrap? I'm afraid to scrape it off in fear of dulling the blades?

Jake

The coating was to prevent rust during shipping/storage. A little mineral spirits should clean them up, if it does not take it off then get some spray on oven cleaner and let them soak a little to removed the gunk.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Put on some old clothes, safety glasses and a hat. Chuck up the bits in your router, turn on the power and watch that "crap" fly around the shop.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It should peel right off with your thumbnail.

Woodslayer

Comment

I use an awl. .........just work it under the plastic and stay away from the carbide edge.

Mmmmm, I may try the running it on some scrap material sometime to see the plastic fly....

Comment

I just cut into it gently with a knife and peel it off.
            Joe Spear

Comment

Yes sir,
              I second the razor knife it works smooth too. Been so long since needing to remove plastic I forgot about that little trick.

Comment

Working...
              X