Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ts3650 assembly

Hi,

I have finally completed the assembly of my new 3650. I have three initial questions.

First, after careful examination, rereading the assembly manual, checking all the assembly steps, I still have 3 bolts and nuts, 1/4 x 20 x 1/2, left in the blister pack. Did I miss something or are these supposed to be extra?

Second, I cannot get the extension wings to flush with the main table in the center. They are flush across the front, they are flush on the top at each end, but they are about a page thickness high at the center of the table. I have tried clamps, readjusting, repositioning, but they still stay out of alignment. Any insight? Will it affect what I work on?

Third, that is an awfully large amout of space to the right of the extension wing that seems to be begging for an extra filler. Anyone else solve that in a manner that doesn't cause problems for the rails, such as being too much weight or allows them to bend when the fence is clamped out there?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Tim Taylor

Okay so I'll answer question #1 myself. I see on the FAQ thread that the three extra are intended, disregard that portion of the questions. Thanks

Comment

The extension to the right does indeed beg for a router table insert or some other thing. Several here have added router tables. There's some threads on that.

The wings do need to be aligned with the main table in the center, or you'll throw off the cuts for larger pieces. Check to see if there's burrs on any of the surfaces and grind them down if you find any.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Newbie

First, after careful examination, rereading the assembly manual, checking all the assembly steps, I still have 3 bolts and nuts, 1/4 x 20 x 1/2, left in the blister pack. Did I miss something or are these supposed to be extra?
        Hi, I know you will love your new TS, I've hade mine for about a month...and Ridgid support is great.... The 3 bolts are for a auxillary wood fence you can make. Here is a link, check out page 53.
        http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/TS3650_6498_eng.pdf

Enjoy.
        Last edited by Mountaineer; 05-20-2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

got it fixed!!!

Thanks to VASANDY for the hints. After checking and finding no burrs I reattached the wings, still high in the middle. Finally crawled underneath and found that the bottom was lined up perfectly. My C-clamp has a solid foot on the bottom and rotatable swival foot on the threaded portion which went on top of the table. The clamp evened up the bottom just fine. Reversing the clamp might have worked but the rotation of the handle would have left knuckle skin and scratches on the pretty paint job. Instead I took a thin piece of metal stock and placed it on the underside of the Table side of the joint and another piece on top of the joint. This allowed the extension wing to depress when clamped, and I now have a flat table joint on both wings. The metal on top covered the joint so it stopped the wing at flush when compressed. Now I just have to get the fisheyes that the clamp left out of the finish.

Tim

Comment

break out your ROS and a scotch-brite pad, use Bar Keeps Friend, with WD40 to wet the powder. Then Wax with paste wax. Not my idea, it came from this forum and works nice.

Comment

For all the folks looking at assembeling a new table saw, there is a terrific video at Fine Woodworking Network by John White. Best tip that applies to the Ridgid cast iron wing assembly is this: with the table saw mounted on the base and right side up, kneel on one knee and balance the cast iron wing upright on your thigh--line up middle bolt holes, insert bolt and hand tighten, then pivot the wing on that nut to install the others. Works great and makes the alignment smoother--you aren't as tired.

Comment

Ros?

Okay Mountaineer, I give, what is the ROS that I am supposed to break? And how did you know that I'm old? Will this involve adding another sheaf of paperwork to my file drawer down at the local ER? They said one more time and I've got to buy my own file cabinet for them. I take it that Bar Keeps friend is a powdered soap? Is that an East Coast thing? Not familiar with it out here on the frontier. I know what WD40 is, I've got that. I looked at Wax at the hardware store (Ace) last night but they were all car waxes and none of them listed their ingredients or said if they had silicone (which someone told me is a big no no). Any brand specific that are 'safe'? I have a Bostik spray product that the local Woodcraft recommended but I can see that I'll go broke using it cause it goes fast. Nice but expensive.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

ROS = Random Orbital Sander. Or, if you're like me and don't have one it translates to elbow grease and a heating pads for the sore elbows!

For wax, the most popular is Johnson's Paste Wax. I keep a jar in the shop now. I find myself waxing my tool tables more than the dining room table any more!

Bar Keeper's Friend is a stainless steel non-toxic cleaner. It was recommended to me, too, but so far the only place I've found it is in the high-dollar shouldn't-be-in-here kitchen stores. I see there's an Amazon dealer that has it $2.50 for a 12 oz can of the powder, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507
                  I can't say anything one way or the other about this dealer. I've had some good and some bad experiences with Amazon. Generally, Amazon customer support will do their best to help you.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Never used anything but Johnson's Paste wax and WD-40. Work great for me after almost 3 years. I get the Johnson's paste wax at the local Home Depot and have also seen it in Ace Hardware and Lowes and True Value. As VASandy mentioned, just put in some elbow grease and the CI top will be in good shape. Follow up as necessary, which may also depend on the climate you live in and how much you use the tool.

FWIT,
                    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Looks like VASandy and wwsmith covered it, :-) the Bar Keeper's Friend most of the time can be found at the grocery store in the cleaning section (next to the Comit). I did'nt think it was in my area until I looked.

Comment

At Lowes or HD, look for Barkeepers friend in the household cleaning section, next to their metal polish. Barkeeps friend is pumice with Oxalic acid in it, so it cleans metal well. If you use water with it, dry it immediately or hit it with the paste wax while wet. Otherwise it will flash-rust when the water dries do the the acidity. Adding water activates the oxalic acid, tho, so it makes it work better for cleaning the surface. (Comet cleanser is mainly pumice with chlorine bleach in it instead of the oxalic acid, so it doesn't attack the rust chemically)
                        HTHs .
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Bar Keeps best friend

THANKS for all the info, am digesting it now. Glad to hear what a Bar Keeps best friend really is. Out here on the frontier the Bar Keeps best friend has an 18 inch nose with two big nostrils, about 12 gauge or so, and a couple of ears that he pulls back every now or then. Didn't think that would improve the looks or finish of my new saw if I used that. So off to find the good stuff, already have the heating pad, now to find elbow grease, hmmm.

Thanks again,

Tim

Comment

The elbow grease is next to the prop wash and flight line at the airport!! The bar keeps best friend out their might "blow" the rust off but would sure play Havoc with the aluminum fence!!
                            Last edited by Gofor; 05-24-2006, 06:45 PM.
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by aggie82cts
                              For all the folks looking at assembeling a new table saw, there is a terrific video at Fine Woodworking Network by John White.
                              Anyone have the web address for this?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X