X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need assistance choosing from 3 Jointers

I need to purchase a jointer within a week and I can afford one of these options.

Ridgid JP0610 $349

Craftsman Professional 21705 $419

Jet 6CSX (blue one) slightly used/excellent shape $375

I cannot find any reviews on the this new Craftsman model but I am very happy with the $700 hybrid table saw I purchased. The Jet reviews are good but I think they are for the new cream painted ones (any difference besides paint color?). The Ridgid also has decent reviews and lifetime warranty. I am leaning toward the Jet model as it seems like a good buy for a mid priced jointer. But any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

I don't have a jointer and don't even want one, but I have notheard any bad reports on the Ridgid at all. Best price and for a new machine with LSA. If I decide to get a Jointer sometime in the future it will be the Ridgid without wasting time shopping out the internet for specifics. MHO
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I really like my Ridgid jointer. With a few jigs, I can joint even thin pieces. It's got enough power to handle everything I've asked it to.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If the Jet is this one, http://www.redmond-machinery.com/Jet%20JJ-6CSX.htm then I think it would be the best buy for the money. A word of warning though, I'm not sure how low ago Jet went to the cream color but I know its been at least 4 years and maybe even longer ago than that. I would look it over very closely and not take the owners word for it that it is only slightly used.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes looks the same but someone has jumped on it before me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tls/162022573.html

Probably just go with the Ridgid unless another Jet pops up soon.

Thanks
          For the replies

Comment

I have owned the Ridgid jointer for 4 years now. No problems with it yet

Comment

Went with the Ridgid

I went with the Ridgid and it works great.

I don't understand the 45 and 135 degree bolt stops though. Seems like you would have to remove the 45 one to be able to use the 135.

So far I am 3 for 3 with buying Ridgid.

Comment

I just purchased a Grizzly G0452 6" jointer and have been very pleased so far. I was looking at the Ridgid, but for a little more money I got more features including a built in mobile base and rack and pinion fence.

Comment

If I had the money and shop space, I would buy this used one.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&cat=95&lpid=1

Comment

Originally posted by mdshilli
                    I went with the Ridgid and it works great.

I don't understand the 45 and 135 degree bolt stops though. Seems like you would have to remove the 45 one to be able to use the 135.

So far I am 3 for 3 with buying Ridgid.
                    Page 45 of online manual says tilt top of fence towards front of tool for 45 and tilt top of fence back for 135.
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

The jointer is one of ridgids best products. I've never heard anyone complain about it. I have one and after 3 years of use I've never had to do anything more than wax the tables. HD is having a 10% off sale either this weekend or on memorial day, good time to get one.
                      As a general rule stay away from craftsman. The hybrid has been the exception.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I just bought a used JP0610. The bed got wet somehow and had numerous rusting spots. It cleaned up nicely using 0000 steel wool and Engine Bright. Then I cleaned that off with some carb cleaner. I can't feel any pits/roughness on the bed at all...I feel quite lucky.

My only (newbie) complaint about it is the sawdust collection, and I think I've solved it for the most part. I'm using a shop vac for DC, with an attached 5-gallon separator. I started out using 2 1/2" hose, with a 2 1/2"-4" adapter duct-taped to the JP0610's dust port. It plugged up consistently within a 1/2-dozen (thin) passes. I ended up moving the adapter to the separator (2 1/2"-2 1/2" duct-taped together), and ran a heavy-duty 4" metal foil dryer vent hose between the separator and the jointer dust port. That seemed to increase the volume significantly, and after a few passes it hadn't plugged up, and there was much less residual stuff up inside the dust chute.

It's much quieter running than I'd anticipated, but hearing protection is highly advised when running wood through it.

On a side note, I bought a cheap set of jumper cables, stripped the insulation off of them, and tie-wrapped them to the outside of the 2 1/2" hoses. I clamped one end to the shop-vac, the two middle ones together on the separator lid handle, and the fourth end to the wingnut on the jointer dust port. That seemed to eliminate the static on the hoses and the separator.
                        After I added the 4" hose, I attached the 2 1/2" hose ground clamp to the 4" metal hose clamp on the 2 1/2"-4" adapter.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X