X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado blade

I have been shopping for a stacked dado blade for my TS3650. I favor Freud blades, and was reading a feedback on Amazon from a fellow who complained that the Freud SD208 would not fit on the arbor of the TS3650. Anyone out there recommend a dado or have you had a different experience with the Freud SD208? Thanks.

The Freud SD200 Series dado blade sets have 5/8" bore hole and you should have no trouble fitting them on the arbor of the 3650. It's old news now, over a year ago, but the reviewer may have been referring to a bad batch of arbors Ridgid had on some 3650's. The bad arbors however didn't interfere with the ability to mount the Freud SD200 Series dado blades.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Comment

aggie82cts :
        I have the sd208 and can get the blades on, you have to leave off the washer to fit 3/4 and up but this is an accepted and ok practice

my 2 cents worth

Nelz

Comment

Dado Blade Issue

I recently purchased the Freud SD208 dado set, but it wouldn't fit on my arbor. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. I bought my saw about a year ago.

Comment

Are you mounting the blades and chippers one at a time or are you trying to put the whole setup on all at once? If that's what you're doing then all it would take to make the setup difficult to mount on the arbor is for one of the outside blades or inside chippers to move even just a little.

Comment

I guess the question is are you saying that none of the blades/chippers will fit onto the arbor due to the hole(s) being too small?? Or are you saying the isssue is that if you are trying to put on enough to take our 3/4" or larger the arbor is not long enough? (I assume the first). In that case I would agree with BD and recommend that you put them on one at time and carefully as the fit can be a bit snug. If it is is a width issue then refer to the comment posted by nelz above on leaving off the washer on the end. I have not had any problems with my SD208 and have the same saw.

WWS
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Freud

I have a rigid TS36120. I purchased a Freud SD606/SD608 dado set. I was careful to make sure of the correct bore size (5/8"). But I did not consider the length of the arbor. The arbor is much to short to accomodate all of the chippers etc.. This was due to my inexperience with dado blades. I am wondering what experienced people do to solve this problem or if there is a solution.

Bob

Comment

It's not only the Ridgid 3650 or even the Ridgid 3612 that have difficulties with the Freud SD60X dado sets. Many other saw manufacturers also produce TS's that these dado sets won't work on either. This problem has less to do with the saw makers then it does with Freud. Freud is a manufacturer of after market product so any blame, if there is any, squarely rest on their shoulders, IMO of course.

I suggested to the Frued rep, Charles M, that Freud mark the SD60X packages with either a list of saws that the SD60X's will or will not fit or a warning label that it will not work up to it capacities with table saws that have an arbor length less than x inches long. He said he would look into that but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Basically there are two solutions to the SD60X arbor length problem. You can make multiple pass cuts if you're making wider dado cuts than your SD60X can accomodate or sell your SD60X dado set and buy one that will work on your 3612.
                  Last edited by BadgerDave; 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Dado Issue

Actually my issue is that the dado blade holes seem to small. I can't even get one single balde on the arbor. I would think that a single blade at a time wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I just purchased a defective set. I matched the hole on the dado blade to that of the original Rigid saw blade and it also seemed smaller in comparison.

Comment

The hole on the dado set is a touch smaller than my regular saw blades and does take a bit more effort to slide on to the arbor of my TS3650, but is by no means tight. It just does not simply slide right on. If you cannot even get a single blade from your dado set onto your arbor I would be questioning whether your set might be defective. I would take it back and get a replacement and try again.

WWS
                      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Just a thought ,if you are trying only the same blade first look for a burr or impediment in the hole ,other than that i would follow wwsmiths recommendations or get out the micrometer to measure the thickness of your arbor.
                        if you have a bad arbor you have to return your saw or swap out the bad arbor

hope this helps

Nelz

Comment

Thanks. I'll probably return my set for a new one and check for any burrs. I hopefully don't need to replace the saw!

Comment

Do you have a circular saw or miter saw with a 5/8 " arbor? If your dado blade won't fit those arbors either (only as a test of the size of the dado hole) then obviously you have a bad dado set.
                            Lorax
                            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I have that same set. Mine work fine. Check the bores for burrs. It is a tight fit.
                              Last edited by TOD; 07-14-2006, 07:55 AM.
                              SSG, U.S. Army
                              Retired
                              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                              X