X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the major project I've done

Here is the pride & joy of my shop. A 1953 Delta Unisaw That a friend of mine spotted in nickle add paper for $250
    totally finished I have $900 into it & that includes the router table. It was a 3 phase saw so had to have a new single phase motor & a fence system & switch. I received a Grizzly 3 hp motor. Shocker of all shockers the motor just slid right in (hmm maybe Grizzly patterened their G1023 after the Delta Unisaw) The Delta motor was about $100 more. It also has a Shopfox fence. I did trade out the UMHW fence sides for Formice covered Baltic Birch both a little longer & higher. Also included in this post is a picture of the cabinet I made to go under the right extension table.
    Attached Files

Nice work, VLL!!! Great to see these old machines back on the job!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Good job, better than new

Comment

Thanks Guys some don't recognize the work it takes to put something like this back into wood working order. It didn't take me long to make the cabinet because before I purchased this saw I had the 1997 Craftsman saw in the below picture & built the cabinet for it. I have since given the Craftsman saw away mounted on the original leg set. I brought the cabinet to my Dad's shop to put his mid 1950 Craftsman contractors saw on. Its a much better saw than the one I had.

If you have a contractors saw & don't have a base cabinet under it I highly encourage you to make one for it.

The center compartment without a knob is the DC chamber.

The other big drawer is for blades & the rest are for router bits & miscellaneous items.

I also made a cabinet for my Jointer.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by VLL; 06-01-2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I think many of us recognized how much work and patience it takes to refurb something like that. That is why we don' do it !! But we admire those like you that do. I think every woodworker enjoys seeing old iron given a new life. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Comment

Hey VLL

I noticed you have the grippers in your pictures, aren't those things a finger saver or what !!!!! I wont rip anything narrow again without mine.... but i need to grab one more so i can do the leap frog method, sure would be easier.

by the way nice job on the saws and cabinets.. I got my grandads old craftsmans (30 yrs old & still ripping wood) that needs a base cabinet... how is the shop fox fence?

William

Comment

william

The Grippers are great & thanks for the comments.

The base I made that is now on my Dad's saw also has the fence from my old saw. We had purchased a Ridgid fence & put on his saw after his was worn out at about 45-50 years use. But the Craftsman fence was a much heavier nicer fence & Dad said you know this saw will be yours some day you may as well set it up the way you want so I switched out the fences & gave the Ridgid fence away along with the 1997 Craftsman saw. Actually the front Craftsman guide rail was as heavy as the entire Ridgid fence system.

The shopfox fence works great. However I did change out the side cheeks & made them out of baltic birch covered with laminate & made them just a tad longer & taller.

I'd really encourage you to spend the time to build a nice cabinet you'll wonder why you waited so long. Also make the deep drawer more like the one I made for my Delta Unisaw The one I made for the Craftsman saw wasn't deep enough to put the blades on edge.

Comment

Working...
              X