Building a workbench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a workbench

Hello all; brand new to the forum and i suppose this is a common thread, although I couldn't match any search criteria. Anyone please chime in on prior discussions of setting up/builing workbeches in a 2-car garage shop...craigslist catches will only go so far. I intend to build plenty of furniture down the road and want the setup right asap.
    thanks
    justin

Here's a place to start, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

workbench building

Dave....thanks a ton for this link, which was a great help.
      justin

Comment

You're welcome, glad I could be of some help.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

great bench

hey Bad,

The best workbench I 've ever had was made from a 3' x 6' 8" solid core door blank. I installed it on a 4"x 4" frame enclosed on 3 sides, with a shelf about a foot off the floor. It's sturdy enough to build heavy things on, and the door slab makes a great surface for cabinet or furniture construction. I had 3 placed in the workshop, one at the outfeed area of the table saw, one about 4' in front of the tablesaw to balance heavy sheet goods on. The other placed to your fancy. With the 3 sides enclosed, it made a great storage area, protected from heavy dust. One bench can be outfitted with all drawers, a full 2' deep ( make sure to use full extension slides if you opt for drawers) If youy protect the top with paper, it lasts and looks better for quite awhile. If it does get shabby, just flip it over for a brand new surface.

Pat

Comment

my nicest and best wood working bench was made out of a bowling alley end that is were the pins sat, still has the black inserts where the pins set,

but if you glue up a large bench and need to "plane it flat"
            if you attach on one edge a good straight board, a inch or so above the edge and level with the bench top, and then use a level to attach one to the other side, and have it level and parallel to the first, and then take your router, and attach it to a board that is flat and straight, and use it for an extended base, and with that router and a flat bottom bit, you can make that wide bench top in to a very nice flat surface, by using the wide base working form side to side across the bench, It is slow but works,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X