X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShortCuts

Certainly your thoughts are worth more than a penny in today's inflated economy, but it is the penny that has stirred up a keg of controversy. We take a close look at that controversy and even jump right into it. Take a look. We also take a close look at the new DeWalt DW311.

--
    Graham McCulloch
    http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca/column

Actually, the penny system is still the standard. No, a tradesman does not use inches, he uses the standard penny system. We frame our walls with 16d nails, sheath with 8d (sometimes 6d) and use 6d galv for fascia and soffit. What is changing is air nails. Air nails tend to be denominated in lengths.

When I order a house lumber package, I order 2 boxes (50#) of 16d coated and one box of 8d coated and 5 pounds of 6d galvanized. The framing sub-contractor supply's his own air nails. Traditionally the nails were part of the general contractors responsibility. The air nail thing partially changed that. Because different nailers use different nails, the sub had to supply the nails that work with his nailers.

Comment

ShortCuts

Is the penny system prevalent in all 50 states or just yours?

Comment

I believe the penny system is standard across the country. I left the Chicago area 25 years ago, it was the standard there at that time. Since then I've been in New Mexico where it is the standard. When I look at the nail boxes, the sizing is in pennys, not inches (with the exception of air nails).

I believe every tradesman, at least every carpenter, knows what a 16d is, and an 8d is.

Comment

ShortCuts

Thanks for that

Comment

Penny system of nail classification is pretty much the norm where I'm from (Virginia). I think by the age of 7 I knew the difference between 16d and 8d and such. Dad was pretty adamant I learn that so I could help him building stuff!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Hey Graham, looking at the chart you have it appears that metric nails of the same size weigh more than their imperial counterpart!

For example you get 540 3d common nails per pound but only 1093 per kilo. (540 * 2.204622622 = 1190)
              Looks like the Integrated Construction boys use a conversion factor of 2.024, hope they don't build anything using their math

Comment

ShortCuts

Thanks for your response Sandy and Wayne, I copied that info from someone, not sure who but when I find out I'll give him heck.
                graham
                http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca

Comment

Working...
                X