Jake, TS2424 Blade Bevel Adjustment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake, TS2424 Blade Bevel Adjustment

Jake, although I have owned my TS2424 for several months, I have mainly used it for simple carpentry type projects. I just started working on a few furniture projects (bookcases, etc.) that require 45 degree bevel cuts. I'm not sure if this is normal, but the tilt handwheel turns very easily until is gets to around 35 degrees. After that I seem to get increasing resistance until I reach 45 and the stop screw is reached. I have looked for obstructions and cleaned the sawdust from the tilt axle/gear, but there was little or no improvement. Is this resistance normal?
    Mark

Mark:

Completely normal.

Gregg

Comment

Not really. For the few times I turn the hand wheel on my Ridgid TS2424 to 45 degrees I have had no promblems.
      Andy B.

Comment

Mark,

This is a guess. I wonder if you need to adjust the retainer for the tilt handwheel bearing? It might be too tight. The screws might have to be loosened a bit. Look under the "Checking Tilt Mechanism" right after the checking blade tilt and squareness procedures (pp. 19-20 of the TS24241 manual).

Comment

Thanks Ivan, I missed that section, it sounds like a good possibility. I will give it a try.
          Mark

Comment

Mark,

The bevel mechinism should be smooth all the way through its travel. I would follow some of the suggestions above.

Jake

Comment

This is hard to diagnose from a distance, but I'd take a look to be sure the blade guard is properly installed and not catching on the table as the blade is tilted, and I'd take a look at the threads on the screw rod to be sure they aren't crudded up with sawdust. This is the hardest part of the saw to clean, but what I've done is to carve a sharp point on a piece of very thin scrap (making what amounts to a toothpick with a 6-inch handle), which can then be slid through the slot for the tilt indicator. Put the point in the thread and then turn the screw back and forth, to clean the gunk out.

I once encountered exactly the response you're describing (i.e., tilt mechanism suddenly gets resistant part way along the travel from 0 to 45), and what I found was that a chair that was behind the saw was getting caught on the motor as it tilted. This wasn't obvious, and it took me a couple of minutes of careful hunting around before I slapped my forehead and said, "You dummy." Look harder for the obstruction.

Comment

Wow I guess I better check mine. My saw has done what Mark described from the day I unpacked it. I figured it was just the weight of the motor loading the mechanism once it reached a certain point. My fault. I going to check it out right now.

Gregg

Comment

Alright I tightened, loosened, took apart, cleaned, and lubricated the housing and retainer bearing. I cleaned and lubricated the drive rod for the bevel adjustment as well. Just with my thumb and index finger turning the bevel wheel it works very smoothly up to about 30-35 degrees. After that it requires a solid grip on the handle to spin it the rest of the way. Someone tell it is just the weight of the motor causing this resistance. I never really paid any attention to it until Mark mentioned it. The blade is not binding nor is the blade housing.

Gregg

Comment

It seems as though Gregg and I are both having the same problem. Of course, before I even posted, I looked around in and under the saw for any obstructions. I tried adjusting the retainer/bearing as suggested as there was little or no change. As I side note, I did notice that the Tilt Lock can get in the way if it is opened past around o'clock in the 90 degree position before trying to go to 45 degrees. Anyway, that is not the problem that I have.

The Tilt mechanism turns very smoothly until about 30 degrees and then gets increasingly harder and as Gregg mentioned, requires a firm grip to turn it the rest of the way to 45 degrees. I noticed that the side of the cabinet neat the tilt blade starts to flex a little bit when the resistance begins to increase. Is seems as though something binding.

I have a 4 day weekend so I have some time to look into it more thoroughly. I plan to remove the dust chute and try to get a better look at what is going on.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!
                    Mark

Comment

I do not believe that a sudden noticeable increase in resistence to the blade tilt function ast the 30-degree point is reached is "normal" for this or any other table saw. My 2424 doesn't do this. If you can find no other obstruction, I'd look for an accumulation of sawdust (or a sawdust and grease mix) in some hard-to-access location.

It is theoretically true that the amount of work per increment of blade tilt increases the furth you go from 0-degrees, since each turn of the crank increases the vertical distance that the motor is raised. However, the curve is smoot (it is actually a sine wave), and given the mechanical advantage inherent in in the screw mechanism, you would not be able to notice it. There is something wrong.

Comment

Sorry; last post was poorly typed and more poorly proofed.

Comment

My TS2424 has done this from day one. Past 30 degrees i have to crank on the spokes of the wheel to get enought leverage to move the thing. My old craftsman was this way too...i always just assumed it had to do with motor weight...

Comment

Jake, it now appears that at least 3 of us have this problem: Gregg, Travis, and myself.

Do you have any suggestions?

I have tried everything suggested. I will look one last time to make sure that it is not a sawdust issue. The only place left may be where the tilt axle/gear attaches to the trunion. As a last resort I thought that I would re-align my blade (parallel to the miter slot). I did notice that it was a bit easier to turn the crank before all of the trunion bolts were fully tightened. I tried the entire alignment proceedure several times just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Same results. The problem existed before I ever tried to aligned the blade, it was perfect right out of the box.
                            Mark

Comment

Hey Mark and Travis,

My saw is still acting the same after the long weekend. It is not neccesarily a bad thing, but there is a definate build up of resistance about the 30 degree bevel mark. I did check an old floor model in HD yesterday that was covered in saw dust on the inside and it spun easy up to about 40 degrees. I wonder if it could be the location of the retainer bearing along the length of the tilt/axle shaft. I thought I saw a set screw in the bearing to adjust it along the length of the shaft. Before I mess with that I will wait for some input from Jake. Like you said Mark my housing begins to bow as well at the 30 degree bevel mark. I know you can bow the housing but I don't think it should start to bow until you hit the 45 and 90 degree stops. Everything under my saw is clean with minimal sawdust. I did lubricate the trunion where the blade housing tilts and that helped a bit but no major change.

Gregg

Comment

Working...
                              X