X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Saver System - Have YouTried It?

There is a 5 liquid set from Empire. I've read about these products, but I think it was all promotional stuff. The Top Saver cleaner/lube sure seems appealing. Wow no rust. I wonder if you have to remove the wax with mineral spirits from the cast iron tables before using the stuff? Or will it take off the wax too? Is it really better than paste wax?
    The blade cleaner makes sense. I never liked the idea of using oven cleaner. The Dri Lube for gears and wheels to reduce saw dust build up sounds good too. Do they work?
    Are the blade and bit lubes new space age stuff? What was used in the old days? What's with the cooling action? I saw a metal cooling reference for another product too, Hair clipper blades I think.
    Any advise on these?

I can't speak from experience about that Empire set but i do know that;

1. Depending on the climate in a given area, generally speaking, paste wax is not a very good rust preventer. It is however very good for making the table top very slippery.

2. Although many people swear by oven cleaner for blade cleaning, most blade manufactureres recommend you don't use it on their blades. It's said to attack and break down the brazing that holds the blade tips to the blade plate. I clean my blades and router bits often by just spraying on a little Smple Green, let it sit a minute or two, then just ripe it off. Works great for me.

3. A dry lube is an excellent choice for lubricating anything that is exposed to sawdust.

4. As far as blade/bit lubes are concerned, I haven't a clue. So far, keeping my blades and router bits sharpened has worked for me.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've used it

There's no question that the top saver works as advertised, very little work involved to remove any of those irritating little discolorations from hand prints, or drops of sweat hitting the table top. I also used it to clean an old block plane I inherited, and it did a great job. I'm not as enthused about the slickness of the surface when it's all done, even after using the top coat dressing that came with it. But, I've had good luck using the goop to clean the top, and then putting a couple of coats of good carnuba wax for the slickness.

Comment

cleaning saw blades

I have tried simple green and some of the other citris cleaners they worked soso. I have a couple of blades I used to cut some lamenated wood and some wood that wasnt competly dry and got a lot of resin on them, I finally tried something an old gentleman told me about 20 years ago, I used applecider vinegar, I let them soak about 15 minutes and they wiped clean with a cloth.
        Last edited by edhum; 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM.

Comment

The Top Cleaner worked great. Now to try the other products. Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Re: Tool Saver System - Have YouTried It?

Is it made by Empire level.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              2. Although many people swear by oven cleaner for blade cleaning, most blade manufactureres recommend you don't use it on their blades. It's said to attack and break down the brazing that holds the blade tips to the blade plate. I clean my blades and router bits often by just spraying on a little Smple Green, let it sit a minute or two, then just ripe it off. Works great for me. .
              A little washing soda and water, soak blades for 1/2 hour. Remember washing soda (about $3 for a couple of pounds) not baking soda. Sparkling clean.

Regards, Daryl

Comment

darylb,

on the washing soda,whats the ratio to water?

Thank you.

Comment

A couple weeks ago someone on the forum used coffee to soak their blades in. As I recall he was pleased with the results.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                    A couple weeks ago someone on the forum used coffee to soak their blades in. As I recall he was pleased with the results.

Tom
                    I wonder if he soaked the blade before or after he drank the coffee?
                    Later,
                    Chiz

Comment

Hector,

Do you have a web link for the products you're talking about? I have another application for using something like this and would like to read the info available. Thanks ahead...
                      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Tool Saver System
                        http://www.empiremfg.com/

Comment

I found it on Amazon.com

Comment

Thanks for the link...
                            If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
                            X