X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drill

Well here I am again. My craftsmsn 14.4v cordless drill has died.. Any suggestions on a replacement. I have been loking on the web and really can not make a choice so I have turned again for your help.. Have not been given any bad advice yet. thanks Dick

Makita, Makita, Makita
    Did I mention....Makita? I have owned, or personal experiance with Makita, Dewalt, B&D Skill, AEG, Bosch, and Ryobi. AEG is a very nice tool and I would purchase another if I could find them and/or afford a replacement battery for mine. I wouldn't give you a nickel for a Dewalt, for the most part B&D is Dewalt now. Skill and Ryobi are inexpensive homeowners tools to me. This leaves Bosch and Makita, the jury and the evaluation is still out on the Bosch, so why Makita? My first cordless was an AEG purchased in 1980, It still is working although the battery will almost not hold a charge. My second was a Makita 9.6 volt drill/driver, the father to the one still sold today (I have one of those as well). My original Makita was used daily in my job for almost 16 years, it has been dropped from ladders, out of the van, and almost any other kind of abuse you can imagine has been done to this poor drill, the case is cracked, (has been for years) and other than replacing the motor maybe 10 years ago I have done nothing to the tool (other than batteries, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th set). I still use it a few times per week for my job. I also have a Dewalt 14.4v that I have had for 3 years, it is used less than my Makita and has been in for repair 3 times to the tune of $60-80.00 each time. I work with 6 other guys that have the Dewalt's and everyone of them has been repaired at least once, and all are newer than mine. So what would I buy if I didn't already have 6 cordless drills? A Makita of coarse!!
    Good luck in your search
    Dave
    It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the information..I do own two other Makitas, belt sander and angle grinder. I think that it is worth looking into. Dick

Comment

Between my father and myself, we have owned three different Makitas, two 9.6V and one 12V. I think that they are great drills, save a few items.
        1) Even new batteries wouldn't hold a charge if stored in a warm/hot environment (the garage).
        2) Battery life seemed overall to be short. We generally bought at least one new battery a year.
        3) All three drills had overheat problems when worked hard and continually shut themselves off to cool down.
        4) All of their cases broke right at the point where the handle meets the main body.

I thought them to be cheap, but my nephew has a Ryobi 14.4V drill/circular saw combo and I found it to be quite impressive for the money. Of course, I have no long term experience with it.

I own a PC 12V now. I didn't buy the 19.2V because I personally think that anything larger than a 12V or 14.4V cordless is just too heavy to work with daily. 99% of operations that you perform do not need any of the the torque of the bigger drills. If you do, get a decent screw gun, they are much faster in these situations and provide consistent screw depth placement.
        Thanh Rodke<br />Woodworker Stuck in a Computer Geek\'s Body...

Comment

I have two Makita Tools: a hammer drill and a circular saw. I have a minor problem with both of them. While using the hammer drill to make holes for tapcons in concrete, the plastic portions of the chuck twisted together so tightly they became almost fused. The drill still works, but it is a PITA to tighten the chuck. The circular saw blade is not parallel to the edge of the plate which makes it very difficult to use it against with a straight edge. Because I rarely used it, I can only assume that the circular saw was like when I purchased it. These issues are not enough for me to be totally turned off on Makita, but they are annoyances. Unfortunately, I purchased them at a time when I only needed them occasionally (probably used 3 - 4 times). I did not have problems until the warranty was expired. I have a Craftsman Drill which has been great. I have had some experience with Porter Cable Drills and a close friend (a licensed plumber and mechanical engineer) swears by them. I think my next cordless drill will be a PC.

Food for thought...Amazon is into the factory reconditioned tool market now. I have seen several PC (and other ) cordless drills for sale at reduced prices with a full factory warranty.
          Mark

Comment

Dick,

I have two Makita 12V drills and the PC 19.2V drill. The older Makita has the long battery that resemble the 9.6V and the newer one has the compact 12V battery. The newer (my favorite) one has a balanced feel to it and I use it for lighter stuff. The older one hardly ever get used now. The PC drill is awesome but somewhat heavy. I use this one when I plan on some extended drilling and metal working. The main reason I got this one was Sears had it along with the 19.2V circular saw on sale at a price I could not pass up.

Just my 2 cents.....Scott

Comment

For the past 10 years, a large part of my job as a CATV splicer required the use of a cordless drill to "core" main line coax. This is VERY hard work on any drill. For years, I used only Makitas, first the lower voltage units, and I increased as the newer units came available. While I was satisfied with the 14.4 Makita, I found it necessary to have 6 batteries and 3 chargers! Not only that, but the average life of the drill was about a year. When the PC 19.2 combo came out, I decided to switch, and WOW, what a difference! Not only do the batteries last about 4 times longer, but the drill itself operates so much more smoothly than the Makita! I found the 19.2 was more than even I needed to carry, so it got transferred to the workshop, and I purchased the PC 12 v for work. I find this drill to be twice the tool that the Makita 14.4 is.
              Sorry for the long post, but I thought you might like to hear from someone who uses a cordless 8 hours a day.

John.

Comment

Thanks Guys, for all of the information. Tis with my own needs and research I will go thit th PC 9877 1/2" 14.4. Sometimes the 3/8 is not big enough and the 19v seem to be much more than I need. I will be getting it tomorrow and will o\post my thoughts after an afternoon workout. Thanks again and GOD BLESS.. dick

Comment

Well as promised here is the results..I got a Pc cordless and in a hurry to get back home I mised the fine print.. Glad that I did as I got a 1/2" NOT the 3/8".. The very first job for this was to cut a hole in my back porch for the electric service line.. What a power houes of power !!! This did he job in no time ( Idid not do it, My electrician did) and he said " I have to have one just like this.. I have used it for a few othter jobs and am VERY happy withe its value, performance and putting a smile on the electricians face ( his batery was down). Now for and update on the garage extension.. Hooked in to the Main.. have all of the power that I want or need.. except for some finishing touches IT IS FINISHED 6 weeks to the day...985 ln ft of "ship lap siding", prefabing the wall frames, putting it together, roof 5v tin over 1/2" ply, installing the door, small roof over the door area, wraping the whole bldg with 1 x 6 trim and two coats of paint. All I need to do is finish "moving in" and some touch up paint. I feel VERY good abotb this project as a few neighbors want me to do some work for them fore pay. Wife has a list also ,, rebuild the front porch 12 x 28 and screen it in, paint the total inside as we did 18 years ago etc, etc.. Thanks for all who answered my request for help and GOD BLESS "Docdick" Dick Nelson..

Comment

Working...
                  X