Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Questions on rewiring power to the Garage Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I am planning on a 400 sq. ft. area. I plan on adding 85A to my existing home panel and dividing the service up as follows:

    30A (dedicated)/ 10 g wire: For 10,000 BTU AC

    Two - 20A lines / 12/2 gauge for alternating plugs so that I can run any power tool in my shop (all on 120v)and use a DC in the other without overloading any circuits.

    15A - flourescents and other lighting 14/2 and 14/3 wire

    It's a one-man show designed for one tool and one vaccuum-type tool running simultaneously without overloads or close calls. I may get some help in lengthening some of the cords on my machines.
    Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

    Comment


    • #17
      Charlie,

      You are absolutely right! I tried your experiment - a light bulb in the same circuit as my table saw. (There were only 2 loads 60W light +TS at the end of a 50' extension cord) When I started the saw, the light dimmed for about 2 seconds. (I don't know the exact voltage drop as my multimeter batteries ran out...will find out and let the group know soon)

      For those of you who have dedicated sub panels and no extension cords, do you see any drop at all?

      How harmful is this? I am trying to figure out how quickly teh motor would wear out, to justify investing in the subpanel. I use the table saw just once a week.

      THanks,
      Subbu

      Comment


      • #18
        There is no magic answer about how much faster the motor will wear out when there is a voltage drop in the line. No more than there is a magic answer about how much faster a car will wear out if you floor it every time your start, especially on a cold engine.

        I have nothing against extension cords. I use one on my 3612, since it has a short power cord, and is used in the center of the garage, away from outlets. Extensions are not recommended because they are often abused. I use a very heavy extension, with good plug and outlets, and don't have noticeable dimming when I start my saw.

        If you used a really heavy extension (12 gauge wire) I would be surprised if the problem was the extension - maybe the wall circuit had other loads or something. But if you had the typical "outdoor" cord, with the much smaller 16 gauge wire, that's a problem.

        Comment

        Working...
        X