Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth?

Hello.
    I have an option to purchse a Rigid Lathe Mod # 826618, from a friend.
    I would like to know what it was worth new and what a fair price would
    be for it now.
    Thanks
    Tom

I may be wrong here but I seem to recall that when Home Depot was closing out the Ridgid Lathes they were going for $99(US). Did your friend happen to share with you the reason why he/she is selling?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm not sure if the model number you mentioned is the same as the WL1200 currently listed in the Ridgid product line, but 20 or so years ago I had a Craftsman lathe that used the same singular tube bed design. From the picture I see on this site the two machines look virtually identical.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using a single tube, but it was very frustrating designing jigs and such that were easily attached to the tube or could be attached to the mounting table without interfering with the tool rest because of the way it slides on the tube rather than being able to remove and reposition it on a double rail bed system. Just something to think about depending on the type of work you plan on doing and what accessories you plan on using with the machine.

Price wise I have no idea. Back in the dark ages I think I paid about $150 or so for the thing brand new, but a darn good car was under $10,000 then and I could fill the tank with a $10 bill.

Jim

Comment

look around and educate your self first, i recently bought a wl1200 at a yard sale...then found out i got soaked, not having a big orange box in the area i did not know how cheap they sold them there.

if your freind is also selling turning tools, or a chuck that was not sold with the lathe new, check the prices of them too, the lathe is just part of the set up price to get you started turning, this could be what determines if you are getting a "deal" or not.

Comment

Working...
        X