X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crib Plans

Anyone have a good source for crib plans. My wife and I are having identical twin boys in early Nov. She is out shopping the stores and comming back with quotes for 1500 bucks. I wanted to look into building the cribs to try and save some money and to be able to tell my kids that their dad and grandfather built their cribs.

So... I am not having an easy time finding plans for cribs online. I found a handful at rockler.com Is there some site that everyone uses for woodworking plans?

This may end up being my first official woodworking project. I doubt it will be my last.

Thanks guys,

Josh

I've been searching the wilds of the Internet for cabinet plans lately. I found this on one site that I've been considering:

http://www.plansnow.com/crib.html

plansnow.com seems to have a good deal. I haven't yet ordered anything from them. The description states it's got details and pictures....I guess for $9.95 you probably get something decent. This crib looks pretty good. I think it was Lorax that just built a crib. Hopefully he'll stop by soon and post something. He has a picture of it in the projects pics thread.

So far, that's the best site I've found yet. Still looking...still trying to find the cabinet plan I want.

Congratulations on the twins, Josh!!!! Best to you and your lovely wife.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Where's Lorax been? I bet he has some ideas for this as I recall he has built a few in the past. Sorry to say that I planned my house remodel a bit more poorly that Josh so I did not have the time for such a great project.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Did somebody say "CRIBS" ??

Originally posted by wwsmith
        Where's Lorax been? I bet he has some ideas for this as I recall he has built a few in the past. Sorry to say that I planned my house remodel a bit more poorly that Josh so I did not have the time for such a great project.
        I'm still around, thanks for asking, just not near as much as I used to be. Let's just say that due to a recent personal experience, internet forums have dropped waaaaay down on my priority list.

Now as far as this crib thing goes.

This was the first.

It's the Rockler 3 in 1 plan made from curly maple. All those tapered spindles are a real bear!

This was the second one.

It's the Plans Now plan referenced above, made from cherry. I used premade embossed moldings for accents instead of the pyramids called for in the plans. Saved many hours of work. This one was much easier to make than the Rockler.
        Be aware that the Rockler crib hardware kit WILL NOT work with the Plans Now crib. DAMHIKT. You have to use the hardware kit referenced on the Plans Now web-site.
        Josh, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

And all you guys give your wives an extra hug tonight, just because!!
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Gave the wife a hug, and hope you and yours are doing okay. Hang in there and take care of priorities, but know we miss you and wish all is well for all your family.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Sorry to hear of any personal problems Lorax. Hope that things go ok for you in one way or the other. I am sure we all appreciate your advice happily given even in harder times and do appreciate it. I may look into one of those plans for mine due in December. Any estimate on time it took you for for those 2 cribs?

TIA,
            WWS
            Last edited by wwsmith; 07-07-2006, 11:44 PM.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Thanks for the links guys. There really doesnt seem to be many plans for cribs out there. only aobut 5 or so.. I guess the hardware is the limitting factor. Pretty expensive too. My dad offered to make cribs for the twins. I dont want him to get stuck in doing a ton of work though and putting 250 dollars in materials into them.

We timed this out bad. Shoulda had them in the spring. Winter is a much better time for woodworking. My dad is out in his garded a few hrs a day now. He switched from Gradening to Woodworking... repeat every year.

Thanks again,

Josh

Comment

Plenty of time!

Josh,
                Don't feel that you have to have the cribs waiting for the little munchkins the day you bring them home from the hospital. They'll be just as happy in cradles or bassinettes or laundry baskets for the first couple (2?,3?,4?) months. Gives you and your Dad plenty of time to make them. You make one, he makes one, or better yet if he lives nearby, you could make them together.
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I think I am gonna go with the hardware and plans referenced at plansnow.

http://www.woodsmithstore.com/heirloomcrib.html

The hardware seems expensive but I dont like the plastic hardware that some cribs come with.

Lorax, thats sorta the way I feel about the early days that the twins are in the house. My wife wants matching solid built cribs right away though. And of course matching changing table and dresser. It will be nice to have cribs from the get go. Just gotta fit em into my schedule.

Thanks for the helps guys, I will post pics when my pop and I finish em. Don't hold your breath though it may be a few months ;-)

Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X