Newbie - TS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - TS question

Right now I am in the process of starting a home workshop in my garage to tackle some of the larger projects that I have planned for my house. I am looking to purchase my first 'big' power tool - a table saw. The immediate plan is to replace all of my nasty looking aluminum storms with wooden storms.

I plan on using the saw for the tenons and router to cut the mortises. With the cost of having these windows fabricated for me being high, I figure that if I was able to make them myself it would offset the price of the saw and would still have the saw afterwards for future projects.

I am looking at the stationary 10" Ridgid Contractor saw at HD. I am a little concerned based on the arbor/dado threads that I have read. Again being a newbie, it is difficult for me to understand the problem and was wondering if someone could explain it.

Is this saw a good choice for me or am I going overboard. I have seen many recommending Grizzly but was wondering about service. Also, have seen some issues on here about servicing the TS3650 abd actually delivering the saw to the servicing agent.

I am really interested in the TS3650 but am starting to get bogged down in details.

Can you guys help?

Thanks,
    Chuck

I LOVE my 3650. I have no complaints. I have the old one though. I just have one recommendation, well actually two....WITH THE SAW, buy yourself a GOOD blade and a GOOD zero clearance insert. I recommend the CMT General. Best blade for the money, rips great if you are using soft wood. Rips hard wood pretty good too, as long as you are not ripping lots and lots. WHen i started doing a lot of ripping of oak and such i bought the CMT rip blade. You will not likely find the general anywhere cheaper than sommerfield tools, a mail order catalog, but i know rockler will match it, and they stock them if you are close to a rockler. So will Woodcraft.

Zero Clearance Insert, forget that POS flimsy plastic one ridgid of forrest sells. I bought the www.rockler.com item number 69163 If you buy from woodcraft or grizzly make sure you get the one for the craftsman. I know they fit the old 3612 and i don't believe that changed on the new one.

I have never used the grizzly but i have heard good things about them. You can't go wrong with Delta either. Grizzly you have to pay the freight. And the one thing the ridgid has is the herculift. nice to be able to roll it around my shop.

Whatever you do, don't buy that 600 dollar saw and leave that 14 dollar piece of metal on it! Get the CMT General. you will not be dissapointed.

For a good Dado, I bought the freud SD-200 initially. Love it. Came across a price on the CMT i could not pass up and now the freud sits on the shelf. I am considering selling it, but i might hold on to it for use with recycled wood or outdoor projects if i need it to do something with some pressure treated lumber or such. Not sure yet.

For what you are describing, i would go to my local HD an pick up a 3612, they carry the freud SD-200 for about 99 bucks but i have seen them at sears as low as 49.99-59.99 on occasion. Sears also sells a dado insert that will fit it as my home depot did not, i had to order mine, it may have changed. then if you have a rockler near by go pick up a couple of GOOD ZCI's a CMT General, some CMT2050 and a can of bostik topcote.

Then take her home, kiss the wife good bye and spend the weekend in the garage
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

The 3612? Do you mean the 3650?

C

Comment

Hi Chuck - There are several good saws in this price range, and all offer different strengths and weaknesses, and have different features.

The Griz and the Delta that were mentioned are both excellent choices. The Griz has an great Beisemeyer clone fence and a very strong 2hp motor, but is mail order and probably requires 220v unless you have a 30 amp 110v circuit. My experiences with their service have been excellent. General International, Shop Fox, Bridgewood, Jet, the new Sears cabinet saws, and Powermatic all make excellent saws too. I'd be doing some research to be certain you make the choice that you're most comfortable with.

Comment

Hi Chuck,
          I'm 73 yrs young. I started as a carpenter apprentice when I was 17--been using table saws ever since. I had a Delta for 41 years--sold it and bought the TS3650. Was like going from a model T to a Cadillac! You can find fault with any saw you buy, as well as good points. My 3650 has the "bad arbor" in it. Doesn't make one bit of difference for general use. Some have problems with their dado heads, but my set works just fine. Guess it depends on the heads. I do agree with the other posters about using a zero clearance insert. The space next to the blade on the factory insert is way too large. The herculift is really great, and for my money, the rest of the saw is, too. Happy sawing. Jim

Comment

Jim,

What types of work have you done with the saw? I am still considering this saw as well as the Grizzly. I have read aboout problems with customer service with the saw. In other words, if there is a problem, getting it to a service center or having someone repair it at your house. Have you had any experience with this?

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck - Did you happen to catch the Sears sale yesterday. There were incredible mark downs on many tools including table saws. I've been reading about people were getting the 22104 in the low 400's, the 22114 in the high 400's, and the 22124 in the high 500's. Strong discounts make for strong values....they might still honor some of those prices if you talk with the right clerks at the right store. Food for thought...

Comment

Chuck, Haven't had any need for service--don't expect any. Can't respond to that question. I use the saw mostly for cabinet and funiture work and some general constuction type. I try to stay away from heavier stuff--I leave that to the young guys. Jim

Comment

It would be just as difficult to take a Craftsman, Delta, General, Grizzly, Jet Powermatic or any other table saw into a service center as it would to take in a Ridgid. Seems like this is really a non-issue.
                  I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
                    It would be just as difficult to take a Craftsman, Delta, General, Grizzly, Jet Powermatic or any other table saw into a service center as it would to take in a Ridgid. Seems like this is really a non-issue.
                    'cept that Sears offers in home service on the new Orion/Craftsman saws.

Comment

That may be true but the in-home service plan is not included with the price of the saw. If you want that service protection plan you have to buy it. I do think think that in-home servicing of table saws, bandsaws, jointers and other very heavy tools is a service feature that is long overdue by all the tool companies.
                      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I was speaking to the people at Sears on Friday and knew about the sale. I didn't buy the saw though. I am still not sure what I am going to do so I didn't want to make a quick decision and regret it down the road. Besides, I still have to prepare my workshop area in the garage.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Knot Me:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by badgerdave:
                          'cept that Sears offers in home service on the new Orion/Craftsman saws. </font>[/QUOTE]If you call Sears in home service, service I have a bridge I would like to sell you. My neighbor got a Craftsman adjustable speed lathe. In one word junk. But that is another story. He had in home service. He had a problem and called, they sent out a technician that had never seen the machine before or if they did they kept that fact well hide. The neighbor and I figured out how to get into the machine and technician did what we told them. The problem was a stripped belt, lousy design, remember I said junk. The technician ordered the part and the neighbor waited nearly a month for it to arrive and a technician to come out to install it. This technician had never seen the machine either or if they did they were also keeping it a secret. They couldn't figure out how to install the belt. It took the neighbor and myself about 2 hours of try this try that before we figured out how to install the belt. The new belt chunked before the technician’s eyes and their comment was “Wow! I'll order another one.” Remember I said junk.
                          My neighbor thanked him for his offer but told him not to bother as he was taking the lathe back as soon as the technician helped him load it in his car. In that aspect the technician was okay since I could stand there with my hands in my pocket watching. The sad part of this story is, it probably isn’t the technicians fault. In an effort to make money he probably expected to fix anything Sears sends him out on without any training. Not what I call service. Service to me is by a technician that has been to the factory and trained by instructors and has real hands on experience.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

Chuck,

Warranty service can be a joke, depending on where you live. My service center (Portland, OR) just told me that it would be at least two weeks before they could even look at my TS2400, and "probably" at the very least ten days more to get a new motor. One person there told me two months was a more realistic estimate, and possibly even longer (they're apparently having trouble getting warranty-work parts from the factory). So, if I were you, I'd check with my closest service center, and see what sort of time-frame you might be looking at, then call the service centers for other brands you might be interested in, and see what they say. As far as comparing with other saws, try 'Googleing' to find recent online comparisons by Consumer Reports, Popular Mechanics, Woodworking Magazine, etc. (I did that to decided on my new combination router, and am very glad I did so, as one site pointed out some points that would have only been obvious to me later. PS: I ended up with the Bosch.) Good luck!
                            Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

Chuck , If you are a newbie than my advice to you is to buy the Ridgid. When i bought mine I also bought A book on fine tuning Table saws. Lo and behold when I pulled my TS out of the box and assembled it, and tried a test piece it was as accurate as accurate can be. Cause the last thing you want to be doing with a new piece of equipment is adjusting it just so you can use it. After I realized what type of equipment the folks at Ridgid put out, Ihave since purchased 3 more stationary power tools from them (via Home Depot). With plans to buy many more. Tony Stewart Rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X