X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is all paste wax the same

just bought my 3650 (big day for me). I've read several places about using Johnson's paste wax on the top for decreased friction/rust resistance.

dumb question- would minwax paste wax be the same? I'm sure it is, but after spending close to $600 on this bad boy I don't want to screw it up right out of the box. I can't find Johnson's paste wax anywhere. the guy at the store barely knew the 3650 was indeed a table saw and had never heard about the paste wax theory.

Thanks.

"...the guy at the store barely knew the 3650 was indeed a table saw and had never heard about the paste wax theory..."

No surprise there (the store 'associate'), unless he has a cast iron tool he would probably never have reason to think of it. The Johnson's paste wax should be in the paint section same aisle as the stains, shellac, and other finishes. They may also have Butchers wax (orange can) which I use and works fine for me. You want to stay away from automotive type waxes as the additives such as silicone will get into your wood and cause problems when you go to finish your project.

I have never used the Minwax product, nor looked at the label to know how it compares to Butchers wax. No doubt someone else on here has used it and will comment.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The Minwax paste wax is OK to use on your saw. You didn't give a location so I don't know if this is applicable but if you live in a high humididty part of the country paste wax is probably not your best choice for rust prevention. It would be fine for making the saws top slippery but I would consider using another product like TopCote for rest prevention.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have used both and they both work well. The Minwax is a little harder wax to apply than the Johnsons.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54
          just bought my 3650 (big day for me). I've read several places about using Johnson's paste wax on the top for decreased friction/rust resistance.

dumb question- would minwax paste wax be the same? I'm sure it is, but after spending close to $600 on this bad boy I don't want to screw it up right out of the box. I can't find Johnson's paste wax anywhere. the guy at the store barely knew the 3650 was indeed a table saw and had never heard about the paste wax theory.

Thanks.
          Living in Florida with high high humidity and keeping my tools in a garage which also is where the dryer vents I think I know a little about rust and rust prevention.

The best wax is Johnson Paste wax. I have tried the others and if you come into my shop you will find I only use Johnson.

For the surface of the table here is something I'm experimenting with and so far the results have been EXCELLENT. One day in HD an old timer heard me talking about tools and rust. After we finished the old timer called me over and told me to try a product made by Flood called Penetrol. It is a paint conditioner and is sold in the paint supplies.
          If you read the can there is small paragraph talking about rust proofing.

As I said I have been experimenting and this is what I have found so far. The stuff works. You can brush, rub it on or dip the tools. The result is an ultra thin, ultra slick coating almost like lacquer. I have applied it to nearly all my hand tools and measuring devices (rulers, calibers, slidding square, faming square and etc.). I also have coated all my hand planes with it. As I said it is leaves an ultra thin, ultra slippery, ultra tough coating.

So far nothing I have treated has shown any sign of rust. My grandsons left a pair of channel locks out in the yard for almost a year and they still show no sign of rust. I painted the corner of the outside air conditioning unit to see how long it lasts and the corner looks like it did when I painted it about 4 or 5 years ago.

It will wear off but it takes a very long time and it almost has to be steel on steel to do it. On the surface of the table saw it will last for years. You can actually set a sweating glass of water on the table and it will not rust.

Penetrol is fairly cheap under $7 for a quart can.

There are many products out there but so far this appears to do the job the easiest, quickest and cheapest so far.
          Rev Ed

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54

Thanks.
            Living in Florida with high high humidity and keeping my tools in a garage which also is where the dryer vents I think I know a little about rust and rust prevention.

The best wax is Johnson Paste wax. I have tried the others and if you come into my shop you will find I only use Johnson.

For the surface of the table here is something I'm experimenting with and so far the results have been EXCELLENT. One day in HD an old timer heard me talking about tools and rust. After we finished the old timer called me over and told me to try a product made by Flood called Penetrol. It is a paint conditioner and is sold in the paint supplies.
            If you read the can there is small paragraph talking about rust proofing.

As I said I have been experimenting and this is what I have found so far. The stuff works. You can brush, rub it on or dip the tools. The result is an ultra thin, ultra slick coating almost like lacquer. I have applied it to nearly all my hand tools and measuring devices (rulers, calibers, slidding square, faming square and etc.). I also have coated all my hand planes with it. As I said it is leaves an ultra thin, ultra slippery, ultra tough coating.

So far nothing I have treated has shown any sign of rust. My grandsons left a pair of channel locks out in the yard for almost a year and they still show no sign of rust. I painted the corner of the outside air conditioning unit to see how long it lasts and the corner looks like it did when I painted it about 4 or 5 years ago.

It will wear off but it takes a very long time and it almost has to be steel on steel to do it. On the surface of the table saw it will last for years. You can actually set a sweating glass of water on the table and it will not rust.

Penetrol is fairly cheap under $7 for a quart can.

There are many products out there but so far this appears to do the job the easiest, quickest and cheapest so far.
            Rev Ed

Comment

Sounds very interesting Ed.

I found this info on their website
              http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/...+Prod+Page.htm

INGREDIENT ......................... PERCENT
              Petroleum Distillates .............. 57
              Stoddard Solvent
              CAS #64742-47-8

Stoddard Solvent .................. <1
              Mineral Spirits
              CAS #8052-41-3

Ethyl Benzene ...................... <0.1
              Ethyl Benzene
              CAS #100-41-4

The above information is from the MSDS which can be found here;
              http://www.flood.com/NR/rdonlyres/B2...ePenetrol1.pdf
              Last edited by Bob D.; 07-16-2006, 05:17 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ed, is there a reason why you haven't tried it on your table saw or have you? If you have, how often do you have to reapply it? I'd also be interesed to know what can be used to remove it if one wanted to bring it down to the original surface and start over.

ps: You do know that once you have a grandchild you automatically qualify as an "oldtimer" yourself.

Comment

thanks for the replies. there wasn't any johnson's anywhere in the store, I tried cleaning supplies, paint, hardware... the only paste wax was minwax. I haven't tried lowe's or any other hardware store yet. I used to live in florida, after that, everywhere else is low humidity to me. I'm in NC now, pretty dry compared to FL. I've had my tools in my garage for 2 years and the only thing that rusted was my steel square that started to rust almost immediately after I bought it. I now have an aluminum sqare.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
                    Ed, is there a reason why you haven't tried it on your table saw or have you? If you have, how often do you have to reapply it? I'd also be interesed to know what can be used to remove it if one wanted to bring it down to the original surface and start over.

ps: You do know that once you have a grandchild you automatically qualify as an "oldtimer" yourself.
                    Actually I don't have a table saw as such. I have a Shopsmith and a RAS. The Shopsmith has aluminum tables but most other parts are steel and I have them coated. On wear surfaces steel to steel I have found the wax solves the rust problem and also lubricates the parts.

However my jointer and bandsaw which are cast iron beds which I have them coated with penetrol and it seems to be working fine. On my planer I use wax again for the lubrication.

I have access to a Unisaw which is coated in Penetrol (son in law).
                    Rev Ed

Comment

I looked for J and J paste wax as well after reading several forums. Most stores don't carry it any longer. J and J has a specific website to order hard to find products. You can also find J and J paste wax on ebay, but you'll pay the same price as from the manufacturer.

I purchased 2 cans recently from the manufacture - never know when you'll need a backup, right? http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Best,

SouthernOak

Comment

Many grocery stores carry Johnson's Paste Wax, thats where I bought my can. It can usually be found in the cleaning supplies isle. Some people have also found it at Lowes and Wal Mart.

Comment

I guess it must be a regional thing. I'm in southern california and couldn't find the j & j paste wax anywhere. I ended up finding some butcher's wax at a true value and it's worked great so far.

Comment

Re: is all paste wax the same

If you have ACE hardware stores, they're supposed to have it, which means if they don't they can order it for you.

Comment

Re: is all paste wax the same

i have my t3650 in an unheated but fully finished garage. i started to notice some dicoloration and a little bit of rusting so i bought the Boeshield T-9 3 pack. the cleaner smelled awful and i think added to the rust slightly. the protectant was useless...

i would like to go to the paste wax, but i still need to clean the top first. i heard that acetone might do the trick... any thoughts????
                              there is a fine line between woodworker and tool collector....

Comment

Working...
                              X