Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical notes

Hello everyone,
    New member here....first post. I just purchased the Ridgid bandsaw bs14002 and got it put together. I've got a couple of things I need help with. First is the blade width.....when measuring the blade with that came with the saw to set the initial tension do I include the teeth as part of the width? In other words is my blade 1/4 or 3/8?
    Second is the musical note. The instruction manual tells me that when the tension is correct and I pluck the blade it should sound like a musical note. My question is what note? I have an electronic guitar tuner, so if I knew what the note was I could get the tension right on.
    I really hope these aren't stupid questions for my first post!!
    This is my third Ridgid tool, I have the portable table saw and the vaccum and I can honestly say, I am really impressed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Before you get really frustrated trying to cut straight with the factory blade (especially if you try to resaw) trash it and buy a timberwolf or Viking from Lee Valley (same blade). If you do a search you will find that the factory blade is crap at best and will cause you to think the bandsaw needs more setup. The blade width includes the teeth. The musical note they refer to is more commonly known and ting! It is not a specific one note but a range of notes, the tighter the blade the higher the pitch. I would say it would be around the note of the open 3rd or 4th string of a guitar

Comment

In my opinion, the "musical note", that they have referred to isn't any particular note as a musician might know. It is more the sound of the blade resonating as opposed to sounding "flat". If you have proper tension on the blade it should "ring" or "ting" as prevously mentioned. If it isn't tight, it would just be "flat", with no resound.

CWS

Comment

Breaking glass

If it 'tings' like AC/DC doing 'Back in Black', your dog howls, your slab cracks and SWAT shows up, you got it a little tight.

Comment

Originally posted by hilligan
          If it 'tings' like AC/DC doing 'Back in Black', your dog howls, your slab cracks and SWAT shows up, you got it a little tight.
          Hahahahahaha!! Excellent. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Are you saying the Timberwolf blade will cut straighter and take the vibration out of the bandsaw? I have noticed that mine ( came with factory3/8 blade) will some noticeable "jump" . I am not quite sure how to explain it as it doesn't really jump but at a certain point when machining is running, you can see the blade has a sis to side movement between the cool blocks. Ron

Comment

A new quality blade will fix both those problems, the jump is likely a poor weld and the teeth are not ground evenly which causes the drift. If there is a vibration with the blade off it obviously won't cure that.

Comment

Hello wbrooks
                I tested it with the blade off and it runs as smooth as silk even with the stock belt. When I put the blade on, it does the jump. I took the blade off again and ran my fingers around it and you can definately feel the weld. Will try the new blade and let you know. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Working...
                X