X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the fence.....

I'm on the fence about getting a Rigid tablesaw, their big floorstanding model.
    My old Craftsman given to me finally wore out from all the cutting I did with it.
    Does anyone know if I can get that Rigid saw with a larger fence, maybe a 50"....? Generally I rip 8' to 10' lengths of 3/4" soft pine but do run into 3/4" hardwoods once in a while.

If I must go with the standard size I will, but a wider rip capacity would be very nice. The price of that saw is very appealing for what you get, the saw has a nice feel and smooth operating fence from what I've seen so far.

PS:
    I recently lost out on a chance for a used $1500.00 5 H.P. Delta so the Rigid looks good for the money. I also am considering the "other" brand...dewalt.

..........Thanks for any comments or input!

I am confused by what you are trying to do. You mentioned 8' or 10' LENGTHS of 3/4" pine that you rip. When you are ripping using the fence and the rails, the key spec is the width. If these are boards, like shelves, then any table saw is more than wide enough.

If you are actually cross-cutting these boards, then you don't even use the fence or rails to do this.

Hence my confusion.

The Ridgid TS3650 is a great saw. There are many competitors including the Craftsman 'zipcode' saw, Delta, hitachi, Jet, Grizzley. A lot cheaper is the Ryobi BT3100. More expensive is the cabinet saws, like Powermatic or Delta Unisaw for instance. I wasn't aware (haven't seen it anywhere) that Dewalt even made this type of saw. I searched the internet and found that indeed, they make the DW746x with 30" fence at amazon for $850 plus shipping. So I learned something today. But I would still recommend the Ridgid.

Comment

Hi Agent 51,

My other saw wore out due to ripping so much wood over a period of a few years. I make my rails, stiles, and raised panels out of pine and the panels are are particularly hard on the saw.
      I thought it would be really handy to have a wider 50" fence when ripping a narrow strip off a full 4'x8' sheet. Kind of time consuming and awkward to use a skill saw and sawhorses to rip those full sheets. Run your hand over the Rigid fence rails and rails, it sure has a smooth feel to it.......nice!

Comment

Can't offer any input on the stationary Ridgid TS, but i believe next week is customer appreciation week at HD and they will have 10% off coupons at the register.

Combine that with the Ridgid 10% off rebate that the tool dept. at HD should have, and you will get one heck of a deal (good til the 31st)

I'm going to pull the trigger on the TS2400, and possibly the router as well next week.

Comment

Ridgid doesn't offer a fence with longer rails. You can buy an aftermarket Biesemyer style fence as an upgrade. With some modification, I think it's possible to slide the stock rails to the right for some added capacity, but I'm not sure how strong it is or what's involved.

There are a few brands that offer the Biese clones with 50" rails as an option....PM, GI, Jet, Grizzly, etc.

Comment

love most of the ridgid tools but the table saw is not one of them for the kind money you can get a grizzly or a jet

Comment

The cheapest Grizzly you can buy is $569 with shipping. Unlike the Ridgid, it has cheapo stamped steel wings and no mobile base. Where I live, the Ridgid TS 3650 can be bought for $549 even if it isn't on sale. A 10% discount will get you under $500. I have one and couldn't be happier. There are dozens of people on this board who feel the same way. If I hadn't liked the saw, I could have taken it back to the store 6 miles away with no questions asked. I wouldn't even have had to put it back in the box. Imagine the hassle of having to pack up the Grizzly and make arrangements for a trucking company to come pick it up if If you don't like it. If you have $150 or $200 more to spend, then the higher end Grizzlys might be worth looking at. I just don't see the benefit in even considering the low end saw if you don't live near a Grizzly store. I haven't looked, but suspect you could say the same thing about the cheap Jet saws.

Comment

Originally posted by artmann
                ... I just don't see the benefit in even considering the low end saw if you don't live near a Grizzly store.
                The benefit is that you get a very nice steel Beismeyer copy fence and a cast iron miter gauge with an adjustable bar, not cheapo aluminum and plastic. Most saws with a fence of that caliber cost alot more. That fence and miter gauge will have far more impact on the cut than steel wings will.

Comment

The aluminum fence slides silky smooth on the rails, has a dead accurate and easy to use rule for setting width, stays parallel to the miter grooves, and absolutely will not deflect after it is set. One magazine measured less deflection with the Ridgid fence system than any other contractor's saw of any brand. The width of rip is far wider than the standard Grizzly fence and that makes a big difference to me. If I were a professional, I might want the durability of a steel fence, but as a serious hobbiest, I can see no additional benefit to a Bies fence. The miter gauge works as well as any you will get with a $600 saw, regardless of material. I reckon I will have to disagree with you on the cast vs. stamped steel wings. I have had a couple of table saws with stamped steel wigs and I will never have another one. It simply isn't possible to take a piece of flat steel and stamp it into a shape that is as flat as machined cast iron. Even if it is flat to start with, the metal will bend over time. I have seen it happen.

Comment

I disagree that the Ridgid miter gauge works as well as any you will get with a $600 saw, regardless of material....it isn't the cast iron that makes it work better. Gauges with no means of adjusting slop in the miter track have a noticeable amount of play in the track. The Griz or the comparable General miter gauge can be adjusted to have no slop.

The stock Griz fence has a 30" rip, but it can be slid to the right to gain 10" in about 10 minutes. The rails are strong enough that they don't need additional support, although it's not a bad idea to prevent tipping. They're also far less likely to bend in the event they get bumped. There's zero chance of this type of fence locking down out of parallel once it's adjusted. FWIW, deflection is a non-issue in this day and age. There's not a fence on the market at the $500 mark that deflects enough at the blade to make a difference in the cut.

If it's a desired feature, a cast iron wing is an option in the 0576 and 0444Z at $644 total...(no tax to out of staters, and don't forget to include that in the price of the 3650 in most states when comparing.). Aftermarket wings can be added to the 0575 and 0444 through Harbor Freight for as little as $30 each. An aftermarket fence comparable to the Griz's is over $200. I'll take the fence over the cast iron if I've got give up something.

You're entitled to your opinion, but my point from the beginning is that there are viable alternatives the 3650, and the lower priced Griz is an excellent example that I would rate ahead of the 3650, along with the Sears hybreds. Not everyone is as enamored by the 3650 as you may be, some don't like Home Depot, and some have read of the quality issues early one and don't want to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by TomP
                      If it's a desired feature, a cast iron wing is an option in the 0576 and 0444Z at $644 total...(no tax to out of staters, and don't forget to include that in the price of the 3650 in most states when comparing.). Aftermarket wings can be added to the 0575 and 0444 through Harbor Freight for as little as $30 each. An aftermarket fence comparable to the Griz's is over $200. I'll take the fence over the cast iron if I've got give up something.
                      Like I said before, if you have $150 or $200 more to spend, then the Grizzly might be worth a look.

I have not found the Ridgid fence to have any disadvantages yet. But, stamped steel wings is the reason why I got rid of my last tablesaw. The right hand side started to sag about 1/8" after several years and there was no way to adjust it out but to bend metal - a temporary solution at best.

Comment

Just my .02 cents worth. I compared the Grizzly to the TS3650 regarding features and price. I ended up choosing the 3650 due to the 36" rip, the mobile base, and the cast iron wings. I have had absolutely no problems with the fence. Based on price the TS3650 is the better value in my opinion because by the time you add on the mobile base for the grizzly you are more than $120 over that of the TS3650. Of course if money is not the issue, then just buy a General, which comes with a Biesemeyer fence.

Comment

don't forget ~$100 shipping on the grizzly saws... that and the included mobile base did it for me. I love my 3650. I'm sure they are great saws but it was several hundred more to get a comparable mobile unit shipped out to me. lifetime warranty is nice too.

Comment

Dont; Forget

With the many Grizz saws you need a dedicated 20 AMP circuit. (they pull @ 18 AMPS)

The Ridgid works on a 20 AMP (pulls @13 AMPS) and you can have you radio, or battery charges on the same circuit.

For some this is no big deal but for others in older homes with no more "room in the breaker box" it can be a deal breaker.
                            http://www.picturetrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54
                              don't forget ~$100 shipping on the grizzly saws... that and the included mobile base did it for me. I love my 3650. I'm sure they are great saws but it was several hundred more to get a comparable mobile unit shipped out to me. lifetime warranty is nice too.
                              Several hundred? Where do you live? Shipping on the Griz in the lower $48 is $89.25. Sales tax on the 3650 for me is $35, so don't forget that.

Comment

Working...
                              X