X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Set or Wobble Blade

Recently bought and assembled the 3650. Planning to build some small bookshelves, shop cabinets, and a toddler's stepstool. Is the "arch" caused by a wobble blade noticeable enough that I should spend the extra money for a dado/chipper set? Recommendations?

Anyone have a good looking stepstool plan (my web searches are only finding the butt-joint milking parlor style). Much obliged.

I have used both and the chipper sets are far better. The arch of a wobble blade must be removed with a chisel or shoulder plane or your joints will not be as solid as they could be, also through dadoes will not fit tight because the arch will hold the matting wood away by about 1/16"
    Freuds are always a great choice but there are cheaper sets that produce great results like my Dimar Woodpecker 8" set that I picked up at a wood show for $75 CDN.
    The wobbles are also a PITA to setup, with a stacking set you stack until you get close to the correct width then make a test cut, measure it and add a shim of the correct size. The wobbles are trial and error and can take several adjustment attempts to get the correct cut size

Comment

I knew it. Nothing's cheap; nothing's easy.

Comment

dial a dado by freud is a bit expensive but is the best dado set out there but if you only going to use ocasionally get a chipper set from sears they have pretty good ones , but no matter what you do STAY AWAY from the wobble blade

Comment

I have both and will never use the wobble type again now that I have a chipper set. Freud makes one wobble set that is too wide to fit the 3650 arbor, so make sure the full width of the dado tool at the arbor is not more than 3/4". IMO the Freud stacked dado set is excellent.
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

If you are looking for a cheap solution, Harbor Freight has a stack dado set that would be preferrable to the wobbler type. I have my doubts about its durability, but the quality of cut is acceptable for someone who uses one rarely like me. I prefer cutting dados with a router in most situations. There is no tweaking involved as with a dado set on a tablesaw.

Comment

Originally posted by tonnydoodles
              dial a dado by freud is a bit expensive but is the best dado set out there but if you only going to use ocasionally get a chipper set from sears they have pretty good ones , but no matter what you do STAY AWAY from the wobble blade
              Does the "dial a dado" work on a 3650? I thought I read somewhere the arbor was too small.

Comment

You are correct, the arbor is too short on the 3650 to support the freud 'dial a dado'

Comment

I would go with a stacked dado set. Now you need to ask your self 6" or 8" set. 6" will cut up to 1.25deep." Weith an 8" set you can cut up to 2.25deep. http://www.infinitytools.com/departments.asp?dept=1194 http://www.amanatool.com/blades/656030.html
                  I hope this helps.
                  Andy B.

Comment

Also may want to get a shime set cost $5.00. http://iseek.com/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0
                    Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                    X