X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from a Plane Expert

I need to buy my first plane (woodworking not air)and I am looking for a little advice on what to buy. I need to do some work on most of the doors in out house as well as some cabinets. They were all cut a little to close and thus stick all summer long!

Thanks
    Mark

I'm no plane expert, but can give you my 2 cents worth.
    I use a little Stanley 220 for trimming doors. It's a low angle plane so hitting the end grain of the door rails is a bit easer to do.
    I live in a old house(1911), so I trim a few doors now and then!
    Also make sure the plane is sharp. It will make the job much easer. A new plane out of the box is not very sharp. A little work on the iron will go a long way.
    Rob Johnson
    Orange,CA.

[ 07-07-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Mark,

I use the following as listed according to frequency:

Stanley 60 1/2 (this one I use for endgrain but also to soften an edge and other light work), small, feels good in the hand and fits in the apron pocket with no problems.)

Stanley No. 5 (Use for flattening and small edge surfaces)

Stanley No. 7 (Use for edging larger surfaces).

Whatever you decide on, a sharp iron makes all the difference in smooth removal as opposed to hurting yourself. There have been some links around here for the Scary Sharp system, which has given me better results than a 800 and 4000 grit waterstone. Good Luck.
      Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

As much as I like power tools - I love planes. Off the top of my head I have two block planes, two smooth planes(one was handmade in Poland with a wood body and brass sole), a jack plane, a scrub plane, a combination plane, scraper plane, and a couple of spokeshaves. My next purchase will be a good jointer plane. In my opinion a block plane or smooth plane would be good for shaving door edges. However, like the other gentlemen mentioned, they must be kept razor sharp for best results. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Bob, sounds like you have enough to open a museum.
          Mark

Comment

Mark,

Once you've decided on the plane of choice, and received it, you'll need to hone it before use. Try the Scary-Sharp method of sharpening/honing. Very inexpensive and very effective!

Send me an e-mail if you need to locate the instructions for the method.

David

Comment

Don't know about the Scary Sharp system, I use the same system for my planes and chisels that I use for my carving knives, chisels and gouges. A stone is rarely needed out of the box so I would expect to go right to a surgical ceramic hone and finish with a rouge treated leather strop. The strop should be glued to a solid backing to provide a firm, flat surface to work against. Be careful to maintain the correct bevel angle for the plane being used.

Comment

Another thing.......
                Hand Planes can become addictive!!!
                I found my first one,A Stanley #5 Type 5,that had belonged to my Father-in-law out in the garage. Now, the collection stands at 13(including my newest addition, a number 112 scraper)!
                I've set up the Scary Sharp system as per Cutbuff's guidance, and now spend some relaxing evenings sitting on my porch sharping Irons!
                Rob Johnson
                Orange,CA.

[ 07-09-2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
                Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Working...
                X