X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even my B***S are rusted

Question for yall; I live in the Houston Texas area and our humidity is somewhere between a tropical jungle and The Great Salt Sea. Everything that can rust, will. The air is so thick here that I have actually seen catfish swimming in the pasture. I can't afford a climate controlled shop; in fact, my barn floor is plain old concrete washout. Everything gets rusty and dusty within a matter of days if not oiled regularly.
    WD-40 doesn't work. I've tried several types of paste waxes and teflon waxes. I keep spray lube around by the case and for most of my work, oil stains will be hidden or painted over.
    But, I'm going to start doing some things that I want to keep clean and free of oil so they can be stained.
    What is simple, effective, easy to use and relatively inexpensive that beats rust?
    Thanx guys.
    BTW: I really enjoy the pix yall post; tools, projects, hints, and work-arounds. Keep it up 'cause a picture is worth a thousand words.

Well, for starters you could move out of Houston. Here in Albuquerque we have a humidity level of 5% = 15%. Rust? We read about that in books.

Comment

WD40 is water based.

D-E-H-U-M-I-D-I-F-I-E-R

Comment

I have not tried this but it gets excellent reviews, Johnsons paste wax does it for me and its pretty humid up here too.

http://www.boeshield.com/

Comment

i have uesed the T-9 that brooks mentioned, and it worked very well for me. we have plenty of humidity in Minnesota.

Comment

Boeshield T9 works on everything!!! I've even used it on my black powder rifles to keep rust off. Works like a charm. Now I can even remove the breach plug on the old .50 Deerstalker when I need to!! My only question is if it would leave the dreaded fish-eyes on wood.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

just before i start my next project, i wipe down the table saw with a clean rag to make sure nothing is left behind. i haven't had any problems with wood discoloration. I think that it is a great product.

Comment

VASandy, Boeshield is a paraffin wax based product not silicone based

http://www.boeshieldcanada.com/info.pdf

Another cool article not for the broadband challenged (1.5M)

http://www.boeshieldcanada.com/wood.pdf

Comment

WD40 is a water-displacing compound, not water based. Same as LPS 1, 2 or 3.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

You might want to look into Top Saver by Empire. It really removes the existing rust and leaves a slick finish, and is easy to reapply and keep up that new finish look. Here's one review, http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/tolsvrrvu.html and theres more info out there but can't find it now.

Comment

Thanx fellas

I'm going to try the rust remover if I can find it. I'm one of those low maintenance people. Whatever is easiest.
                      So much more pleasant than some of the political forums I've visited.
                      As far as moving, we are seriously considering it. I'd like to live some where with four seasons. And not as flat as my ex-wife.
                      Well, in Houston we have four seasons; NearlySummer, Summer, MoreSummer, and Christmas.
                      But Houston has ex-wives, too. Three of 'em.
                      Thanx again.
                      RBD

Comment

Three things will help

I live in Spring and share the same weather (and traffic!) as you so I'll let you know what I have found.
                        First, the Boeshield is a great product and I use it every few months. The first time you use it you may want to spray on a light coat and just let it dry. After that you can spray it on, wait just a minute and then wipe it off.
                        Second, using your saw regularly will really go a long way to keeping it rust free. I'm not real sure why this is. Maybe you are moving air and wood over it and wiping it down every so often, but whatever, it helps.
                        The third thing that I do is to keep a quilt or blanket over it when I'm not using it for even a couple of days. I use my garage as my shop and the high humidity coupled with cool nights makes for condensation. Covering the table (and all my tools) with blankets has worked for me.

Maybe you don't need all three, but they're cheap and easy so why not.

Good luck,
                        Gene

Comment

Working...
                        X