X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid 18V Cordless Drill

In Nov 05 I purchased an 18V cordless Rigid drill to replace my 5 year old 12 V Dewalt that had died. The drill was on sale at HD ~ $100. I am not satisfied with the drill because the chuck doesn't keep the bits tight so I have lost several bits! I never had this problem with my Dewalt so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? My neighbor purchased a Panasonic drill at the same time and he loves it! The lifetime battery replacement is a nice feature though so I don't know if this is a problem with the 18V Rigid drills in general or if I just got a lemmon?

There have been a few posts similar to yours. Most found that they did not tighten the chuck enough. These locking chucks have a ratchet mechanism that clicks as you tighten them, you must hear a 'clunk' when the chuck locks, and then between 4 and 7 'clicks' in rapid succession as you continue to tighten the chuck after it locks.

Comment

For me the problem is where you store the bit when not in use. I've had my drill only a few months and have lost several bits whereas with my Dewalt which I've had for over 10 years I've never lost a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jgt1942
        For me the problem is where you store the bit when not in use. I've had my drill only a few months and have lost several bits whereas with my Dewalt which I've had for over 10 years I've never lost a bit.
        Oh No, sounds like some more Ridgid bashing from a Dewalt man.LOL at another one!!!
        I have almost the whole line of cordless 18V Ridgid and worked them hard well over two years almost every other day. I have had repairs done as the result of workin them hard. All work and a battery has been given to me under my life time warranty for free from a small place by us that works with Ridgid.
        Hey folks this is a new one! Now there fussin over a lost bits. cant you bashers do better than that!!! Check your self man, I bet it was the user doing!!!
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Be safe out there folks
        Bob B
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by jgt1942
          I own both Dewalt and Ridgid, both lose the bits once and a while. I'm sure i got some 'lemon" or "orange" drills Why not just wrap some masking tap around them?...either that or stock up on Phillips driver bits.....
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Not sure how you guys are losing so many bits when they are out of the drill.

I use the Picquick (fricken great invention!!!) screwdriver which has seven 2 1/2 inch bits in it (three robertson, two phillips and two slot).
            http://www.picquic.com/bro-english.html

The bits slide into the body of the driver and hold nice and tight.

Take one bit out by sliding the other one in.
            Unless you lose the entire screwdriver it is virtually impossible to lose a bit.

Have not lost a bit in years.

Comment

Working...
            X