Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust collection has been the project in my shop for the past month.

Well here is my TS set up:

My dust collector has a 5” hose. I placed 2 sheets of ¼” plywood across the bottom of the saw base. I used 2 pieces to make installation and removal easier. I cut a hole for the 5” pipe and placed it directly under the 2.5” stock connector. I currently have the back blocked off with cardboard to improve dust pick-up. For me this set up picks up 95% of the dust and chips.
    Attached Files

Comment

MrZ, you got a good setup there. It's basically what I was trying to get across in my last post on 9/19 using the Rockler accessory.

Your second photo shows two areas where an improvement can be made in not just your setup but for anyone. That is to figure a way to block off that big wide slot for the bevel adjustment handwheel which can plainly be seen in the photo. And also, up at the top of the cabinet sides, where they meet the underside of the CI table. The problem up there is that they don't actually but up to the underside of the table, because its ribbed. So there is a space all around about a half inch wide and almost 48" long, which adds up to a 24 sq. in hole. Add the area of the slot in the front face of the cabinet (another 3 or 4 sq.in.), and you have an area that affects DC performance greatly. If you close off the back (an even larger area), then you probably won't be hurt by the efficiency loss from the areas I mention above. But if you choose not to close off the back, then it might be worth looking into closing these areas and recovering the static pressure lost there.

You mention the Shark, are you referring to the SharkGuard® ? I conversed with Lee about his design and making it work on the TS-3650. Last I knew he said it would be very difficult to fabricate a mounting system for his SharkGuard that would work with the TS-3650. I had sent him some detailed photos with measurements and offered to work with him on a prototype as he did not have access to a Ridgid TS first hand. It didn't get any further. If Lee has worked out how to mount his guard on the TS-3650 that would be great for topside dust collection. Not only is his SharkGuard® good looking, it is functional too.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.

Your second photo shows two areas where an improvement can be made in not just your setup but for anyone. That is to figure a way to block off that big wide slot for the bevel adjustment handwheel which can plainly be seen in the photo.
        Bob,

I was thinking of using weather striping or something that would allow free movement, but block as much dust as possible. On my old Bench top Craftsman saw I had the slot covered with duct tape and would peel the tape off when I wanted to make angle cuts. I do not want to use that method this time however. Looks like I need to make a field trip to HD or Lowes for ideas.

It’s funny you mentioned the Shark too. I E-mailed them on Tuesday and I received a response back yesterday. He said that he has a proto-type out and it is being tested. He did not give me a time frame on a release dat.

Scott
        Last edited by MrZ; 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Scott,

I was thinking of using weather striping or something similar also. Whatever it is you don't want it falling out and the possibility of it getting tangled up in the belt. The blade should not be a problem if you leave the side cover on as it looks like you did also.

I will have to contact Lee again and inquire about the status of the SharkGuard® for the TS-3650. I hope it show up in production soon. Nice to see someone take an idea like that which was born of a individual need and expanded to service all the popular makes of table saws.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

The shark guard for the 3650 is in Beta testing at this time. I will post a full review with pics as soon as it is ready.

regards

Ken

Comment

I saw a set up where a 4" DC hose was connected to the pipe coming out of the saw cabinet, but what I thought was neat was that there was a 2 1/2" pipe centered in the middle of the 4 incher. The 2 1/2" center pipe had a flex hose running to the shroud around the blade. Connecting a DC to the 4" pipe pulled a vacuum for both the cabinet and the blade area.

I've read about two ways to close up the opening. One was using light weight weather strip above and below the tilt wheel shaft, just like you were thinking, and the other was just 2" wide either 1/16" or 1/8" foam taped in the same orientation. Let us know what works for you?

Comment

"I saw a set up where a 4" DC hose was connected to the pipe coming out of the saw cabinet, but what I thought was neat was that there was a 2 1/2" pipe centered in the middle of the 4 incher. "

Hector, that is an interesting setup you describe. I can envision something that will probably work but would be interested in hearing more about how the one you saw was put together.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Hey Bob, I was watching the Woodworking Channel. http://thewoodworkingchannel.com/?refcode=07IN09RL , and they had a trade exhibit demo for General Tools. Their new hybrid saw has the dual pipe built in to the cabinet. If you have a Woodcraft nearby you might be able to see it. I haven't had a chance to get out to mine.

Comment

Anyone know if the Shark attachment for the dust collector is out of beta for the Rigid TS3650

Comment

Not quite yet. I am waiting on the wonderfull mail service to deliver the redesigned parts to me for installation and testing. I believe that the other tester (TS2424) has recieved his and has installed and tested them. Hopefully he will post here. As soon as I get mine and have a chance to install and test them I will post a full review with picktures. So far I have to say that the sawdust collection from the 4" shark guard is awesome.

Ken

Comment

Ryan check this link out the guy did a nice job connecting DC to it, then follow were he posts more info, hope this helps you. I know its a link for it for sale but he talks about it in depth and posts more about it upstairs . have a nice read.( lots of pics)
                        http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1
                        Originally posted by ryan.s View Post
                        How do you guys connect a dust collector (4" hose) to the TS3650? Would it be better to get an adapter from 4 to 2 1/2 inches or rig a custom contraption like Bob did so the 4" hose connects directly to the saw?

Bob, could you please enlighten me on how you did this? Was it difficult and what were some of the things that were important to the efficient collection of dust?

Thanks!

Comment

With regards to the Shark dust collection system on the TS3650, will that eliminate the need for closing in the casing on the TS3650, is there a way to be able to get the TS3650 90-95% efficient in dust management......

Comment

Ken, as a fellow Albertan, would appreciate your input on the dust collection modifications needed on the TS3650 if any to make it highly efficient.....my doctor says my breathing is being affected by dust......

Comment

I hope that you are at least using a dust mask, Doreyman. At least until you get your DC system up and collecting. I find that the finest dust is my most potent irritator. Nevertheless, there's always fine dust when you're workin in the shop. Get thee a mask at the very least!
                              Laer,
                              Chiz
                              Later,
                              Chiz

Comment

dust collection mods to 3650

Doryman, I have closed in the bottom of my 3650 with two pieces of 1/8" masonite. I taped the joints with duct tape to seal better. I then cut a 4" diameter hole in the masonite and installed a toilet flange. I attached a short 8" length of 4" flex hose and a 90' elbow. I used two pieces of hardboard to close in the back of the saw. I presently have them taped in place but I am planning to change the tape to magnets to allow me to remove them for tilting the blade. This lets me hook up my dust collector to the saw and capture all the dust from the bottom. On the top I have the new shark guard with the 4" dust port on it which collects 99 % of the top dust. I can post some pics of the bottom and back of the saw if you want. Let me know and I will post them tonight when I get home.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X