Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken - re: sealing off the bottom and using a toilet flange. I have to be doing something wrong with that setup. I get a *lot* of dust collected in the corners on the masonite. Do you have the same? I went back to using the small shroud as well as the 4" intake below and still get dust at the front of the masonite but much less. I too have the back of the saw closed in although, not very tightly. Do you think that this is an issue? OTOH, the only dust escaping the saw is what comes off the blade as it exits the workpiece on the table. Maybe I've answered my own question and all I need now is a Shark. Answer if you think there's a flaw in the setup. Otherwise, I'll assume there's nothing more to do.
    TIA
    Chiz
    Last edited by ironhat; 12-20-2006, 11:09 AM. Reason: replace a deleted word
    Later,
    Chiz

Comment

Chiz,

I get a build up of dust in the corners of the masonite too. I think that your setup is good and with the addition of the shark guard that you will have the dust collection situation taken care of. You may want to try closing in the curved slot for the bevel indicator on the front of the saw. I am planning on closing this slot with a piece of adhesive backed foam with a slot cut in it. This should help with moving the dust out of the corners. I will post pics of the shark guard as soon as I get the new pieces and get them installed. PM me if you want pics of the bottom and back of my saw.

Ken

Comment

Ken, would appreciate if you could post pics.....Merry Christmas

Comment

I was thinking, Ken, wouldn't it be great if you could buy the riibons of brushes like you see over the tires of UPS trucks? I'll bet it was no picnic getting that tape to the slots. Did you go in from the bottom or the back?
          Later,
          Chiz
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Doryman, here are the pics of the method I used to close in the back and bottom of my 3650. With these changes and the shark guard I estimate 95-98 dust collection.

Ken
            Attached Files

Comment

Rest of the pictures

Here are the rest of the pictures and one of the shark guard.

Ken

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Rest of the pictures

Here's another possibility I just came across.

http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Ridgi...ification.html
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: Dust Collector for TS3650

Here's my solution, some sheet alumnium screwed to the bottom, with a square hole cut in it to port to the collector fitting I bought from
                  busybee tools

There is strip insulation, like you might use for windows and doors, sandwiched in between both lines of sheet metal screws for a better air seal. On the inside corners, I taped up any gaps where I trimmed the corners of the sheet.

On the back, just some sheet metal cut to suit. I rarely tilt the blade, I will remove for those times.

Also, on the front, I bought some magnetic sheets normally used to cover up heating vents, and cut them to fit the shafts as closely as I could. I can feel a fairly good vacuum pull down through the blade (I also removed the blade shroud on the inside). Thinking of shooting some expanding foam into the areas underneath the table top, between the top and the cabinet, to close off that large area of leakage.

Also added a back extension according to ideas here (thanks), but just used 90deg angle material which is working fine.

First project is the "Dream Bookcase" in the May 2006 American Woodworker. Thoroughly enjoying the power, speed, and accuracy of this table compared to my 30 year old Beaver!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X