X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 12" Compound Miter Saw

I was leaning toward buying a Dewalt 12" CMS until I saw Ridgid's version for the same price ($299) at Home Depot and the Ridgid included a stand (valued at $70). Would I be better off with the Ridgid or the Dewalt or some other brand? Is $299 a good price? Thanks.

You beat me to this post Steve

I am also in the same predicament like you. I picked up a Dewalt 10 last week but I am not happy with a 10".

The Makita 1221 is $279 at Lowes, and the Porter Cable 12 is $299. That ridgid at Depot sounds good and I am probably going to get that one. The jury is still out though.

So you elders of the community speak up.....

Comment

Dave is he refering to you? I can't answer I biased.

Comment

I have my sights set on the Bosch 12". I was amazed how quiet the motor is (compared to my old Delta), and the fence is a little higher than the Ridgids. They are selling right around $280 also (just need to figure out where that 280 is going to come from!)..
        GaryO

Comment

I ain't that old....

I can't answer for two reasons. One is I've never really looked at the Ridgid, second is because I don't use my DeWalt 705 very much anyway. One of those machines I wouldn't replace if it disappeared, just for lack of need.

Dave

Comment

I have the Ridgid MS1250 and am very pleased. I compared this saw with DeWalt's 12" (the 705) and found the features to be identical. Same amperage motor, blade size and fence size. The differences I saw were that the DeWalt has an adjustable plate under the miter stops that allows you to fine tune the saw if needed, the Ridgid includes accessories that you must pay extra for on the Dewalt, the Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, and the color.

I believe that Dewalt now includes more accessories such as a dust bag and table extention but Ridgid is again including a very heavy duty stand.

The stand promo was sold out at my local Home Depot and I was told it was over so I bought my miter without it only to be very dissappointed when they promo came back shortly thereafter. Ironically the same thing happened when I bought my TP1300 planer. Lesson: Avoid my dissappointment and ignore what they tell you about the availablity of the stand. If its not there, it will come back

I am very happy with all my Ridgid products and believe me, I have a lot of them. I should note though that Dewalt has a couple of new saw's (the 706) and I have not complared them to my Ridgid. Good Luck
            - Tim

Comment

Buy the Ridgid. I have one that had performed flawlessly for about a year, and a pal of mine, who is a carpenter by trade, was so impressed with it that he went out and bought one for his next job.

Comment

I purchased a Ridgid MS1250 last week and I am having problems getting the saw to cut square. I've attempted to adjust it per instructions 3 times and it is still 1/32nd off inside. Anyone have any ideas on how I can straighten this out?

Thanks.
                Best regards,<P>Marshall Guillory<BR>personal WW site:<BR>Got Wood? - <A HREF=\"http://www.hobbyworm.com<BR>marshall_guillory@yahoo.com\" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hobbyworm.com<BR>marshall_guillory@yahoo.com</A>

Comment

I bought the MS1250 back in Dec. I also had problems getting a square cut. I finally noticed that when you pull down the saw, there is play (almost 1/32") side to side, so if you exert any side pressure, the cut will be off. I tried every setting I could think of to no avail. I did go back to HD and noticed that all of the MS1250's on display also had the same play. The DeWalt 12" CMS next to it did not. I took the MS1250 back and picked up the Dewalt. The Dewalt is dead on accurate. And since that is why I bought a CMS, I am happy. I am disappointed the Rigid did not work out. I will say the Planer (1300) I also bought is great.

Al

Comment

Thanks for the reply Allen. I noticed the very same play in my MS1250. I'm dreading taking the stand apart, but I guess I will have to return it for the Dewalt as well.
                    Best regards,<P>Marshall Guillory<BR>personal WW site:<BR>Got Wood? - <A HREF=\"http://www.hobbyworm.com<BR>marshall_guillory@yahoo.com\" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hobbyworm.com<BR>marshall_guillory@yahoo.com</A>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HingedThinker:
                      Thanks for the reply Allen. I noticed the very same play in my MS1250. I'm dreading taking the stand apart, but I guess I will have to return it for the Dewalt as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I visited HD last night and found the display model has the very same left/right play problem as the one I brought home. Curiously, I tested the 10" Ridgid MS and it was tight in the hinge joint. I guess there is a design flaw or the two models are manufactured in different places??

I am going to return my MS1250 for a Dewalt 705S tonight. It was tight and I figured the table and clamp aren't really worth the hassle of non-square cuts.

Comment

I have a MS1250-1, about a year old, and after reading these posts, took a close look. I found that the left-right hinge was rock solid at all points of descent.

Comment

Working...
                        X