X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessories for TS2400

First off, the Ridgid 2400 is an absolute joy to use...just need to get a nice blade.

After using it for the 1st week of ownership, i realize i need some accessories. I think i need a featherboard, i know i need a good push stick/shoe/block.

1st off the push items:

should i have all? should i make some? if purchase, which ones are user-friendly?

any recommendations for featherboards?

also, does a zero clearance insert basically prevent unwanted items from hitting the arbor etc? does it do anything else?

if you can think of anything else i should purchase to aid the ts2400, please chime in.

what a great machine!!! glad i chose it over the Bosch 4000-09. Lifetime Service Agreement....WAHOO!!

cheers
    CMW

I've been happily using my TS2400 for over a year now – great saw.

For push sticks I picked up one of Vermont American's Push Shoe Plus from HD, only about $8. It works well in most situations. What I like about it is it holds the stock down as well as pushing it. When I'm cutting a very thin piece I made a similarily shaped push stick out of 1/8" ply, it will get past the blade guard when the fence is really close.

I also use a cushioned push block, as usually used with a jointer. I allows me to keep downward pressure on the stock and my hand away from the blade. Got it at Rockler, about $5.

Also from Rockler I got a plastic feather board. It helps alot in stablizing the cut. I've never really run into a kick back situation, lucky I guess.

Zero clearance inserts (zci) are really to prevent chip out on the down side of the work piece. My home made ones work really well at doing that. They are also a small aid in dust control, but not enough to have one for that reason only. They are easy to make and there are a number of good sources for ready made ones. A search of the forum on zci's will give you more info. Everything about zci's applies equally to the TS2400 and the TS3650.

I finally picked up an Incra miter guage, and is it an improvement over the stock miter guage. Its almost put my miter saw out of business.

I've made 2 mod's to the saw. 1) cut out the bars on the dust port to keep larger pieces from causing clogs. That helped dust collection. 2) I fabricated an insert for a router that fits into the opening on the right side when the table is slid over. It works pretty well, even allows me to joint the edges of boards using an adjustable fence fitted to the 2400's fence.

I hope the above helps. Enjoy your saw.
    Dick

Comment

Cheeky, I use this featherboard, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search it's fairly inexpensive but work well.

For a push shoe, I have this one, http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00932190000 You could certainly build something along the same lines for a lot less money.

For ZCI's, I like to make my own. You can make them out of MDF, hardwoods, plastics or just about anything that will not flex. Lately, I've made some out of hardwood floor scraps.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You may want to get a couple of blades. A good 40 or 50 tooth combo or general purpose blade is invaluable and very versatile. A decent 24 tooth rip blade can save your saw alot of laboring in heavy material. Thin kerf blades will also spare your motor some strain. Keep 'em clean, sharp, and well aligned. You may eventually want to get a good 60 or 80T crosscut or ply blade if you do alot of sheet goods.

Don't cheap out on blades....especially the 40 or 50 toofer. Cheaper blades will dull quickly and won't cut as well from the start. The Forrest WWII is a great blade...it runs around $80 from amazon. Freud's upper line offers alot of high quality choices too.

Comment

I went with the BenchDog line of products. I like their feather boards and their push stick.
          http://www.benchdog.com/products.htm#prowoodworker

Comment

i appreciate all your insight, thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...
            X