X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Dado Set

Anyone ever try the DeWalt DW7670 8" dado set? It's on sale for about $91 delivered and offers 4 tooth chippers for the price of Freud's 2 tooth chippers, plus it comes with a nice case. It's from DeWalt's top Series 60 line which has some excellent blades and the reviews from owners are positive....it looks like a nice value.

"Includes two 24-tooth carbide tipped saw blades, six 4-tooth carbide tipped chippers, 12 steel shims, instruction manual, and heavy duty case."

Comments?

Last edited by hewood; 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM.

I can't comment on the DeWalt set however, Freuds' SD200, SD300 and SD600 sets come with 5 chippers while the SD500 set has 6 chippers.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Dave - What I meant to clarify is that the DW has 4 tooth chippers vs 2 tooth for about the same price. I just noticed in the description that it has 6 chippers total. I'll edit in some clarification.
      Last edited by hewood; 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Looks like a nice set for the money. Do you know what the chipper thickness is? My freud set has 4 that are an 1/8 inch thick and 1 that is a 1/16 inch thick.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
          Looks like a nice set for the money. Do you know what the chipper thickness is? My freud set has 4 that are an 1/8 inch thick and 1 that is a 1/16 inch thick.
          Hi TOD - All I know about widths is that the total is 29/32", and that one chipper is 3/32".

Comment

Dado Set

I don't have the DeWalt DW7670, but I think I would like it. I've had the Freud SD208 for a long time now and it produces quality cuts. The two things I've felt were drawbacks: it can be a PIA to set up with chippers and setting a dado to match 3/4" plywood.

I would envision that having 24-tooth blades with 4-tooth chippers would make setting up easier. And I really like the fact that it has a 3/32" chipper to allow for exact cuts on plywood.

It does seem like a lot of teeth for cutting a dado. I wonder about feed rate?

I hope you buy it and post a review.

Comment

i was thinking about buying the freud 208 - you find cutting dados in plywood frustrating with the set?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug
                i was thinking about buying the Freud 208 - you find cutting dado's in plywood frustrating with the set?
                To be exact, it isn't cutting a dado in plywood, it's cutting a dado for plywood. Even with a thin veneer ply, the SD208 generally gives clean cuts. My comment is directed at setting the correct width for "3/4" ply which is typically 23/32" (1/32" less than 3/4"). For my dado set, this requires adding 3 shims (your results may vary).

Is this a big deal? Not really. I do take extra care of my shims, I'd hate to bend one. But every time I set it up I wonder why Freud didn't add a 3/32" chipper.

So, I don't find it frustrating to do: but I did the first few times.

Comment

Dewalt 7670 Dado set

I have the Dewalt dado set and it works excellently. The chippers are four (4) 1/8" one (1) 1/16" and one (1) 3/32". The dado's are sharp edged with flat bottoms and no tearout on hardwood or on thin veneer maple plywood. For the price I would definately get them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Just my opinion.

Ken

Comment

hewood - where did you see the dewalt set for 91 bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug
                      hewood - where did you see the dewalt set for 91 bucks?
                      Amazon has it for $99.00 plus there's a 10% promotion. Spend $199 or more and get another $25 off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8?ie=UTF8&s=hi

There are 23/32" router bits that make it easy for plywood thickness....they actually sell sets for plywood. Holbren had a great deal on a set of 3. The bits are a consistent size...unfortunately the plywood thickness has variability...the dado head can be finetuned for situations when the router bit can't. The only way to fine tune a bit, is to start with a smaller diameter and make multiple passes to the desired thickness, which is a technique that I find is more variable than plywood thickness! Darned if you do, darned if you don't

Comment

Working...
                      X