TS3650 Blade Guard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Blade Guard

So, I love my table saw, just ran a dedicated circuit for it in my basement and what a difference that has made. I now no longer trip the breaker six times for every foot of two inch maple.

Anyway, I'm kind of torn. I can't tell if I hate the blade guard or love it. I feel that it is an absolute necessity and refuse to remove it, but it seems to be built like garbage when the rest of the saw is such high quality and very precise.

I hate the fact that I can't seem to get it perpendicular to the table or parallel to the blade, it always seems to have some warp in the anlges leading off of the table and blade surface. I have tried stuffing shims here and there to no avail. I'm also finding that the fatter maple is pinching onto the guard and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with how it is positioned. Is there an aftermarket guard that can be purchased? Has anyone had these same problems or thoughts?

This is how it apperas. I can get the bottom of the blade guard perpendicular with the table, but the top seems to lean towards the fence. Then when I get the blade parallel, I see the slight bend as well as parts of one side of the guard when I look at it from the front. The piece just seems warped. I think I have just really noticed it since I've started cutting wood thicker than one inch.

So I guess my question is, do others feel that it is warped, or does it seem to be pretty precise? Or, have I just not grasped how to accurately align this with the table?

Sorry for the novel, just looking for answers. Thanks

Are you talking about the splitter or the blade guard? If its the blade guard, this one is a little expensive but should solve your problem, http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tsguard.html

If its the splitter thats the problem, you could add one of these, http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12141 to your throat plate to compliment the Penn State blade guard.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have used many different table saws over the years and the 3650 has the best OEM blade guard I have ever used. Having said that, I must admit that I never use mine any more. By its very nature, it frequently gets in the way of normal operation and must be removed. In addition, all these devices present an extra opportunity for binding the blade. I count on safe cutting procedures and the use of push sticks, cross cut sled, etc. to keep me from getting hurt.

Comment

The Splitter

I was talking about the splitter. It was all one piece so I typed the first thing in my head. It doesn't seem too bad, it appears it could work, I guess I really need to look into getting it perpendicular with the table the best I can, and work the alignment better. I'm still not comfortable enough to remove it, so I figure the better I can align it the happier I will be, and I got two cribs to build so I need to jump on it. Thanks for the follow up.

Comment

I really like the design of the blade guard/splitter because it is easy to remove and reinstall (which means I use it when I should) and stays true. To answer your question, yes you can adjust the angle of it so it is true to the blade without using shims. Looking from the back of the saw, you will see there are two bolts with star washers that attach the splitter/guard mount (the aluminum piece with the round rod coming out of it that you mount the guard to). The holes are elongated so you can loosen these screws and using a try square, get the guard vertical to the table top (you'll have to raise the blade guard to get the try square next to the splittor, and may have to raise the kick-back pawls up and hold them up by putting a small screwdriver under them). Retighten holding the splitter against the try square. After doing this, you may have to loosen the guard mount bolts to move it directly behind the blade. Make sure your blade is at true vertical before you do this.

Hope this helps
          Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I know what you're going through. It doesn't seem possible but with a little work it can be adjusted so it lines up properly. I had to loosen several bolts as well as manually bend the splitter portion of the guard to get it to line up right. What worked for me is first I bent the splitter so that it is perpendicular to the table top. Mine seemed like it was leaning towards the right side of the table. Next with the blade guard assembly off (use extreme caution if you are cutting wood without the blade guard assembly, I assume no responsibility for any mis-haps) I ran a jointed board against the fence, with the jointed side against the fence while making sure it stayed in contact the whole time. Half way through the cut I shut the saw off and left the board there as an alignment guide for the splitter. I pressed the splitter up against it then tightened down the bolts. Check then adjust again accordingly if needed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I know what you're going through. It doesn't seem possible but with a little work it can be adjusted so it lines up properly. I had to loosen several bolts as well as manually bend the splitter portion of the guard to get it to line up right. What worked for me is first I bent the splitter so that it is perpendicular to the table top. Mine seemed like it was leaning towards the right side of the table. Next with the blade guard assembly off (use extreme caution if you are cutting wood without the blade guard assembly, I assume no responsibility for any mis-haps) I ran a jointed board against the fence, with the jointed side against the fence while making sure it stayed in contact the whole time. Half way through the cut I shut the saw off and left the board there as an alignment guide for the splitter. I pressed the splitter up against it then tightened down the bolts. Check then adjust again accordingly if needed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thats what I needed

For some reason I always missed those two bolts on the back. I spent about 40 minutes today, and got it lined up perfectly. No more pinching, it works a lot better. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                X