X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointers

I want to be able to biscuit join frames, shelving and other small to medium sized projects--possibly larger ones in the future.

I have no idea about the capabilities and limitations of bench jointers, plate jointers and handheld biscuit jointers (are they the same as a plate jointer).

Any insight about the different types of jointers would be greatly appreciated.

My wife bought me a porter cable biscuit jointer as a gift - what a machine! By far my favourite tool. Makes building furniture a lot easier -no holes to hide or fasteners to counter sink. I would highly reccommed it, and have no idea how i survived without one. The model # is porter cable # 557. This unit is a tad pricey though - runs about 200 US or 300 CDN

Comment

A plate joinerand a biscuit joinerare the same tool. Benchtop jointers are a completely different animal altogether. The joiners' primary function is to cut slots that will then accept biscuits to join two pieces of stock together. A jointers' main job is to shave off small amounts of stock from the workpiece so that you end up with a smooth flat surface which you can then rip to size.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
        A jointers' main job is to shave off small amounts of stock from the workpiece so that you end up with a smooth flat surface which you can then rip to size.
        I would like to add that once the face is flat they are used to insure the edge is perpendicular to the face by placing the previously jointed face against the fence and jointing the edge.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer, that's what I was trying to say but you did a much better job than I.

Comment

Thanks guys

Any recommendations?

Comment

The Porter Cable and DeWalt joiners both consistantly receive high marks from those that own them. I have the PC557 and its a sweet machine but, for my purposes anyway, a less expensive joiner probably would have served me just as well. If you don't mind buying reconditioned tools here's a pretty sweet deal that Amazon is currently offering, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...495962?ie=UTF8

Comment

I'm looking for a plate joiner myself and indeed the dewalt and PC look to be some of the best around but according to what I've read so far it seems the PC is THE one to get if you can.

Comment

FYI, There was a review of plate joiners in the May issue (#121) of American Woodworker.

I've owed a Makita for 10 years now without problem or complaint.

Comment

CheekyMonkeyWrench and Valosaplen check your PM’s.

Woodslayer

Comment

Got to laugh

BadgerDave,

You now need to email Home Depot and explain to them the difference between a joiner and a jointer. As I was searching the HD website for jointer blades I saw that they don't carry the Ridgid jointer... they have the Ridgid joiner/planer. At least it wasn't a joiner/planter.

Comment

I would but I doubt seriously if it would do any good. Then again, what can anyone expect from a company that thinks that the jointer they sell will never need new blades. I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't stock them, can you?

Comment

Working...
                        X