X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber purchase

What would you say is the most common or popular place to purchase hardwood for your projects? The local lumber yard or is ording via the internet a good way to save?

Do many people resaw lumber to save material and what type / brand of bandsaw works best?

Sincerly,

Getting Started

I use this http://www.woodfinder.com/ to find local places that sell lumber. It's been very helpful in locating a couple places nearby.

I've never purchased lumber over the internet as there's really no way to insure the piece you see pictured would be what gets delivered.

Welcome to the forums, Jackford!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

One internet source that has gotten good reviews from the woodworking mags is Wall Lumber . Check out their UPS Bundles .

I have not ordered from them myself, but have been thinking about it for wood not locally available. Speaking of locally, there is a place that deals in teak wood that is not too far from me. I was by there once and stopped in and got the $0.25 tour of the place. Must be a couple hundred thousand BF of Teak in that warehouse. I have not bought from them yet either (all they have is teak) as I have not come up with a project to use teak on. They are on the web at www.globalteak.net
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Where are you located? In most areas there are at least a couple of bandsaw mill sawyers or regular sawmills. You can save a ton of $$$ getting rough lumber from a sawyer.

I resaw regularly to stretch my stock when I'm doing projects that accept thinner stock and for bookmatching panels.
        I use a lowly Harbor Freight BS with a riser and a good quality resaw blade from Lou Iturra.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
        ken
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Working...
        X