X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incra Miter Express Question

When setting up this cross cut sled Incra recommends placing the sliding sled portion to the right side of a left tilting blade. In reading a review of the product the author setup the sliding porion of the sled to the left of the left tilting blade on his 3650. Does anyone know if it really makes a difference?

Being new to using a table saw my first inclination has been to approach all my cross cutting from the left side with my miter gauge to the left of the blade. I don't know if it's because I'm a lefty or not, but it just feels right.

I guess I should be asking Incra, and I probably will, but I've developed a lot of confidence in the answers I get here on this forum. You folks are making me into a better woodworker. Thanks

I had the same question and reservations, Hector. Although when using a miter guage to crosscut I always use the left slot, I went with Incra's recommendation and placed the slider to the right. I don't know that it makes a difference, but I don't feel uncomfortable using it. It's more like using a crosscut sled than using a miter guage. I haven't made any cuts with the blade at other than 90 degrees yet with the ME, so I can't comment on that application.
    I haven't really answered your question and may have increased the confusion, but you aren't alone with questioning this.
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

The sliding part of the sled or miter gauge should always be on the side AWAY from the direction your blade tilts. This helps prevents it and your work from getting trapped between the blade and the table when cutting a bevel, which can result in a kickback, damage to the saw, damage to your sled, and quite poosibly damage to you. The object is to not get anything next to the blade that can put a side pressure on it. If you are "under" the slope of the blade, and you put just a little pressure sideways on the sled/miter gauge toward the blade (and there is some slop or you won't be able to slide the sled), the piece is forced against the blade but cannot move down because of the sled/table. When it wedges between the spinning blade and the table/sled the friction against the blade can cause many ugly things to happen in a split second. If your sledor miter gauge is on the opposite side and there is any side pressure, the piece can go up without binding the blade.
      I the blade is vertical, you can use the miter gauge on either side.
      Its a safety thing. Hope this makes sense.
      Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 08-31-2006, 08:20 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks Ken M and Gofor. I still haven't decided to mount the sliding portion of the Miter Express to the left or right of the blade. I still want to touch base with the manufacturer.
        I would like to run some thoughts by you guys.
        Incra says that the ME also functions as a zero clearance plate for reduced chip-out. With that in mind, if I decided to cut something with the blade at a bevel angle, wouldn't that ruin the zero clearance feature for future cuts with the blade at 90 degrees to the table? Would I have to buy extra mdf panels for every bevel I cut? What do you think?

Comment

Like I said Hector, I haven't made any angle cuts. Looks like a dedicated drop panel would be best. I would make them out of 1/2" ply or MDF tho. No reason to use the pretty Incra red stuff. To me it's not a big deal. One for 45 and another for, maybe 22.5?
          Let me know how the conversation goes with Incra, if you contact them.
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I talked to Incra Customer Service and the way they put it was that as long as you are aware of the safety concerns associated with having your work piece trapped under the angle of the blade rather than the cut-off piece you are ok to mount the slide where ever you want.

Comment

John Lucas has a piece on using the Miter Express on his website, you can see it here:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/incram-3.htm
              Last edited by Bob D.; 09-15-2006, 06:28 AM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob D. That woodshopdemos link is a real gem. You da man....

Comment

You are welcome Hector. John has much useful information of his site. You could get lost in there for a few hours w/o even trying :-)

I got the Woodcraft Incra 1000SE and Miter Express combo also. Finally got time to put it together today. I noticed that to mount the miter gage you have to remove the T-Slot adapter. The drawings in the manual clearly show a T-slot on the Utility bar, however mine does not have a T-slot.

Anyone else not have the T-slot?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Geez, I don't feel so bad. I've had my Incra Combo now for almost 3 weeks and all I've put together is the 1000SE, but haven't fit it to the slot yet. Haven't even touched the Miter Express. I'm busy still putting stuff where it belongs after the last hurricane scare and screwing up a project table. But I just looked at it and it doesn't look like I can keep the T-slot adaptor on when docked to the ME either. Looks like its time to get one of those magnetic car key boxes for the adaptor, and stick to the saw frame to keep it handy.

Comment

Re: Incra Miter Express Question

[quote=Hector B;58412]When setting up this cross cut sled Incra recommends placing the sliding sled portion to the right side of a left tilting blade. In reading a review of the product the author setup the sliding porion of the sled to the left of the left tilting blade on his 3650. Does anyone know if it really makes a difference?

Being new to using a table saw my first inclination has been to approach all my cross cutting from the left side with my miter gauge to the left of the blade. I don't know if it's because I'm a lefty or not, but it just feels right.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
                      I just put mine together using the instructions for my left-tilting saw. That's when I discovered that my Incra 1000 Miter Guage won't work with the sled in that configuration. The arm extende into the blade.

I have e-mailed Incra and left a phone message. Still waiting for a reply.

Like you I have always done my cross cutting from the left. I wish I had thought this through before I did the cutting on the drop panel.

Comment

Re: Incra Miter Express Question

I had to remove the t-bar on the ME too. It still works fine in the mitre slot out of the sled, though. If I ever get around to making mitre cuts w/the sled, I'm going to use a different off-cut piece rather than use the nifty red sled piece that came with the kit! As you pointed out, cutting the piece to a mitre would ruin the zero-clearance part of it.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X